[Libs-Or] Banquets and Business and Sessions-Oh My!

Maureen Cole mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us
Tue Apr 7 18:16:10 PDT 2015

Greetings Conference-Goers:
As chair of the Public Library Division, I want to send out a big plug for all things PLD at the annual OLA conference starting next Wednesday: the PLD Banquet on Wednesday night, a bang-up list of PLD-sponsored conference sessions, and the PLD Business Meeting. Conference registration is still open and I know many of you are still figuring out what to attend. Allow me to influence you.

1. PLD Banquet: In the spirit of the conference theme of creativity, we snagged Mark Shapiro from Laika Studios. Recently nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Feature for The Boxtrolls, Laika is known for its innovation in stop-motion animation in films like 'Coraline'.  Mark will be bringing 'show and tell', making this event on Wednesday night, April 15th, 6:00 p.m., a DO NOT MISS event.  This is a great way to start off your conference. We will present the OLE Award that evening, which is a ton of fun in itself. There will be oohs, aaahhs, and tears. In other words, the perfect banquet.

2. PLD, with many partners, has put together a great line-up of conference sessions, everything from soup to nuts, or should I say cannabis resources to the Edge Initiative. If that's not enough to grab you...well, I'm just speechless. Let me list them out for you:

Thursday 11:00 - 12:30
Open the Doors to Art: Successful Collaborations between Libraries and Arts Organizations
Empowering the Patient: Providing Essential Consumer Health Information

Thursday 2:00 - 3:30
Create, Collect, Connect Using Mobile Devices
Get On Board with the Imagination Library

Thursday 4:00 - 5:30
Connect and Create: Using Social Media to Market Your Small and Rural Library
The Edge Initiative: Get an Edge on Your Technology Services
Against Conventional Wisdom: Lessons from Quiet and Mastering the Art of Quitting

Friday 8:30 - 10:00
Print Your Book
Cannabis Resources for Librarians Serving Medical Patients and Others
What's It All About? Libraries, Hubs, and Early Literacy

Friday 11:00 - 12:30
More Than a Bandage: Health Information Resources for Librarians and Educators Working with Children and Teens
Developing Digital Literacy: A Flexible Model Designed to Meet Learners' Needs

Friday 2:00 - 3:30
Hungry Kids in Oregon Public Libraries

3. And finally, if you made it through all that, I have saved the best for last: ta da! The Business Meeting! Allow us to present our latest suggested update to the Public Library Standards-a section on Ethics. Ethics are good, yes? We thought so too. The PLD Business Meeting will be Thursday, 5:30 p.m. (along with everyone else's, I know, but our business meeting is the best).

Please join us for this fantastic smorgasbord of offerings. We look forward to seeing you in Eugene!

Best wishes and safe travels!
Mo

Maureen Cole
mcole at orcity.org
Library Director
Oregon City Public Library
606 John Adams St.
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
503-657-8269 ext. 1010 Direct phone
503-657-3702 fax
Website: www.orcity.org/library
Follow us on: Facebook!
Subscribe to our email newsletter!
PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE: This e-mail is subject to the State Retention Schedule and may be made available to the public.