[Libs-Or] More OLA Conference sessions for academic librarians

Jennifer Snoek-Brown jsnoekbrown at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 12:35:26 PDT 2015

**Please excuse cross postings**

There are plenty of ACRL-OR sponsored and co-sponsored sessions at the
upcoming OLA conference, as we detailed here in an earlier blog post,
"ACRL-Oregon
sponsored programs at OLA Conference 2015
<http://acrloregon.org/2015/03/09/acrl-oregon-sponsored-programs-at-ola-conference-2015/>"
on the ACRL-Oregon site. We hope you'll stop by the sessions we're hosting,
but here are a few more, broader interest sessions that might be of useful
to academic librarians — and anyone else at the conference.

And don't forget that we'll be hosting the ACRL-OR reception Wednesday
evening from 5-7 p.m. at the First National Tap House, just a short walk
away from the Eugene convention center. Hope to see you there!
------------------------------

*Time*:  Keynote Address, Thursday 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
*Title*:  *Living at the Edge of Mystery: Creativity, Information & the
Experimental Life*
*Description*:  J. Robert Oppenheimer wrote that “both the man of science
and the man of action live always at the edge of mystery, surrounded by
it.” The greatest of our creative institutions have sought to confront the
singular mysteries of their time: the fundamental elements of life, the
nature of gravity and light, and the atomic structure of matter. Ours is an
age of overwhelming information that we seek to transform into
comprehensible knowledge. I shall discuss several examples of creative
institutions, all of which seek to make sense of the challenges of our age
-- the Media Lab at MIT, the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, the
Santa Fe Institute in New Mexico, and the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery
at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. These all question the boundaries,
boxes and constraints we place on thought and seek to render comprehensible
our mysterious informational universe.
*Speakers*:  David Krakauer, Wisconsin Institute for Discovery at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison
------------------------------

*Time*: Session 1, Thursday, 11:00am - 12:30pm
*Title*: *Creative Marketing of Library Services*
*Description*: How do libraries let the public know about their resources
and expertise? Library service marketing helps libraries raise awareness
about the valuable services they can provide. Please join Jeremy Graybill
and Steve Roskoski as they discuss this important topic.
*Speakers*: Jeremy Graybill, Multnomah County Library; Steve Roskoski,
Multnomah County Library
------------------------------

*Time*: Session 2, Thursday, 2:00 - 3:30pm
*Title*: *BIBFRAME Basics: Beyond MARC*
*Description*: BIBFRAME (the Bibliographic Framework Initiative) aims to
provide the foundation for the future of bibliographic description on the
web and in the networked world. It is intended to replace the MARC Format.
This session will provide a basic overview of BIBFRAME, including the
BIBFRAME Model and Vocabulary, the general differences between BIBFRAME and
MARC, and the changes ahead for catalogers. The session will also included
information about how some libraries are experimenting with and learning
about BIBFRAME.
*Speakers*: Kelley McGrath, University of Oregon, Sandy Macke, Multnomah
County Libary, Adam Schiff, University of Washington
------------------------------

*Time*: Session 4, Friday, 8:30 - 10:00 a.m.
*Title*:* OLA: Cultivating Creative Members*
*Description*: Are you looking for a creative way to make a difference in
OLA? In a panel format past and present OLA leaders will define and
describe what they really do. The OLA Association Manager will explain
support provided. Official responsibilities, unstated expectations, and
actual time commitments will be acknowledged. The ultimate questions: “Why
be involved” and “How to cope with being involved” will be answered.
Audience members will have a chance to learn more about OLA Round Tables
via a “speed dating” format.
*Speakers*: Connie Anderson-Cohoon, Southern Oregon University; Penny
Hummel, Penny Hummel Consulting; Heather McNeil, Deschutes Public Library;
Hannah Rempel, Oregon State University, Shirley Roberts, Eastern Oregon
University and OLA Association Manager; Elvira Sanchez-Kisser,
Woodburn Public Library

Be sure to check out all the programs online at the OLA 2015 Conference
Schedule page <http://www.olaweb.org/conference-2015---conference-schedule>.
Are there any other programs you’re looking forward to?

~ Stewart Baker, ACRL-Oregon Member-at-Large (2014-2016)
Systems & Institutional Repository Librarian
Western Oregon University