[Libs-Or] Library proctoring

Sonstegaard, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Sonstegaard at cityofalbany.net
Fri Apr 24 09:16:12 PDT 2015

Our library is reevaluating our proctoring services and would love some feedback.  Currently we proctors exams for a wide range of students: local and online community colleges and universities, high schools, certificate programs, etc.  While this is a popular service it has become increasingly time consuming on our already limited staff.  For example, after agreeing to proctor we print out exam login/password info, file it under students name, administer the exam, and then sometimes have to fax/scan/mail the completed exam back to the school or login to a proctor account and enter a score.  Students have to pay for any printing and they must bring their own postage but are not required to hold a current library card from our library.  Many of the students would be eligible to receive a card through the Passport program, so forcing students to get a library card seems like another hoop to jump through which would not generate any library revenue.  It feels like a valuable service for the library to offer but it is also taking a lot of time (especially during mid-terms and finals) and creates a significant workload for staff.  We've considered charging a flat rate for each test proctored ($5?).    I'm interested in hearing how other libraries handle test proctoring.  Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Elizabeth Sonstegaard

Albany Public Library
Albany, OR
541-791-0014
http://library.cityofalbany.net/

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail may be a public record of the City of Albany and may be subject to the State of Oregon Retention Schedule and may be subject to public disclosure under the Oregon Public Records Law. This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please send a reply e-mail to let the sender know of the error and destroy all copies of the original message.