[Libs-Or] Emporia in the news

Pierina Parise pparise at emporia.edu
Tue Aug 4 11:36:13 PDT 2015

Many of you have heard about the recent concerns at Emporia State University’s School of Library & Information Management (SLIM). As these concerns are legal and personnel related, there is no additional information that I can provide (and I really don't know any more than what has appeared in the media). The only thing that I can say is the university is working through its policies and procedures and will take appropriate action when the investigation is concluded.
Some have asked how this might impact the ALA accreditation process for SLIM, which is coming up in the fall. First, it should be noted that the renewal for accreditation is something that happens to each library school every 7 years, and SLIM has been preparing for their accreditation visit for the past year.  Second, a school does not lose its accreditation outright.  If ALA finds problems, then the school's accreditation becomes "conditional", with specific comments about what needs to be fixed.  While a school is on conditional status (usually 2-3 years), the degree is still considered accredited.
If anyone has questions or comments, they are welcome to contact Gwendolynne Larson, Assistant Director, Marketing & Media Relations at ESU - 620-341-5528; 620-340-7544 cell; or glarson1 at emporia.edu<mailto:glarson1 at emporia.edu> .
Perri Parise, Director, Oregon MLS Distance Program