[Libs-Or] The 2015 Annual Report on challenges to library material in Oregon is now available

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Aug 24 13:30:36 PDT 2015

The 2015 Annual Report<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/youthsvcs/OIFC/2015AnnualReport-fd.pdf> of the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse is now available!

Last year 14 attempts to ban books, videos, sound recordings and magazines in Oregon libraries were reported to the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse (OIFC).  Thirteen of the challenged items were retained in the collection and one was removed from the collection.

I encourage you to incorporate this information and/or the titles of the challenged materials in your Banned Books Week<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/intellectual.aspx#Banned_Books_Week_Planning_Resources> displays and activities.  Many people may not realize that book banning is not a thing from the past or that attempts to ban books are made every year right here in Oregon.  This is a valuable educational opportunity to discuss the nature of the First Amendment-just as we have a right to access these materials in our libraries, we have a right to question whether they are appropriate to include in public collections.

  *   Why might someone find these materials inappropriate?
  *   Why should they remain in the collection?
  *   Is labeling a book an effective way to inform people about content that may not be appropriate for everyone or is it a form of censorship?
  *   What would you do if someone came up to you in your library and said they want you to remove a book from the collection?
  *   Why is a collection development policy the most important line of defense when library materials are challenged?
  *   Does your library have a policy or established procedure for patrons to challenge material?

You can find resources that may help you answer these questions at: http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/intellectual.aspx

Thanks,
Katie Anderson

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport> [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>  [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>  [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>