[Libs-Or] Letter to Libraries Online January 2015

Jessica Rondema jessica.rondema at state.or.us
Mon Jan 5 12:04:07 PST 2015

Having trouble viewing this HTML e-mail? Click here<http://oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLOJan2015/Jan2015LTLO.html>

[OSL Building]
Letter to Libraries Online

A Monthly Newsletter from the Oregon State Library

Volume 25, Issue 1, January 2015

Contents:
Library Board News
State Library News
Contacts at the State Library

Vision: All Oregonians have the information essential to be engaged citizens, to strengthen our communities, and to build a prosperous state.

Mission: The State Library provides leadership and resources to continue growing vibrant library services for Oregonians who are print-disabled, the Legislature and state government, and all Oregonians through local libraries.

Library Board News

State Library Board Met in Salem on December 5th

The Oregon State Library Board of Trustees met on Friday, December 5, 2014 at the Oregon State Library. The Board heard the appeal of staff decisions for Ready to Read grant awards, conducted a post-transaction review of agency head financial transactions, elected members to the Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Advisory Council and the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) Advisory Council, and reviewed the quarterly board survey from the Governor's Office. The Board also approved the proposal to transition the Answerland virtual reference service from Multnomah County Library to the Oregon State Library. The next meeting of the State Library Board will be on Friday, February 13th at the Oregon State Library in Salem.

State Library Board at Full Strength

On December 9, 2014, the Senate confirmed the Governor's appointment of three new members of the Oregon State Library Board. The new members are Ann Malkin from Bend, Jennie Tucker from Union County, and Leslie Hicks from Independence. The new members attended the December 5th meeting as guests since they had not yet been confirmed by the Senate. Their first meeting as Board members will be February 13th at the State Library. Look for profiles of all our Board members in upcoming issues of Letter to Libraries Online.

Return to top of page
State Library News

LearningExpress Library MARC Records Now Available

[MARC]LearningExpress Library recently updated the links in their custom MARC record files. Direct links to specific products are now provided in the 856 MARC field. Record files are available in two forms, as a first-time download or as an update to existing records. Directions for accessing both files are available on the Administrator web site<http://www.learningexpresshub.com/File%20Library/Corporate%20Site%20Assets/PDFs/Marketing/MARCRecord_Instructions.pdf>. If you need assistance with login information or your MARC Access Key, please contact Arlene Weible<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us>, Electronic Services Consultant or LearningExpress Customer Service Customer Service at Libraries at LearningExpressLLC.com<mailto:Libraries at LearningExpressLLC.com>.

Talking Books Provides Access to The Residue Years by Mitchell S. Jackson

When the Multnomah Reads coordinator of Multnomah County Library asked the Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library if our collection included The Residue Years by Mitchell S. Jackson in August, we did not have the title. We contacted the Collection Development Coordinator for the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) in Washington D.C. and asked if it was available. The title was not being considered for recording, but, at our urging they committed to either option the commercial audio or record it. By October, they learned that the commercial recording was not a possibility so they immediately put the book into production. We learned last week that the title is ready for our Multnomah County patrons on BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download).

We have worked successfully in the past with NLS to expedite a recording for a Community Reads program. In 2010, we brought Phillip Margolin's Fugitive to Talking Books, The Help in 2009, and in 2008 we asked them to expedite Diana Abu-Jaber's Origin and Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson.

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library wants to help your print-disabled library patrons participate in your Community Reads events. Email us, call us, send us a letter...tell us your selected titles as soon as you select them. If we can, we'll contact NLS and request those books on Talking Books audio for our mutual patrons. We'll send letters to every one of our patrons who lives in YOUR service area letting them know about your library's Community Reads event. We will make sure that all requests for copies are satisfied...we can make as many simultaneous copies as we need to. To give an example: we have 1,400 registered Talking Books users in Multnomah County alone. We will probably make about 80 copies of The Residue Years to circulate to those folks in the next couple of months.

Letters About Literature Elementary and Middle School Entries Due January 15th

[LALLogo]Letters About Literature is a national reading and writing contest sponsored by the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress and by Oregon's equivalent at the State Library. Students write letters to an author explaining how that author's book changed their way of thinking about the world or themselves. There are three competition levels: Level I for 4th-6th graders, Level II for 7th-8th graders, and Level III for 9th-12th graders. Oregon's three winners - one from each competition level - will go on to compete nationally. Entry forms and guidelines<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/aboutlit.aspx> are available online. All Level III entries were due in mid-December of 2014, and Level I and Level II entries by January 15, 2015. In 2014, about 1,040 students in Oregon entered the contest, and 1 in 8 received cash prizes or bookstore gift certificates. These prizes are made possible through support from the Oregon Reading Association and three divisions of the Oregon Library Association: Oregon Association of School Libraries, Children's Services Division, and Oregon Young Adult Network. For more information, please visit the website<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/aboutlit.aspx> or contact Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, coordinator of Letters About Literature activities in Oregon. Thanks for passing along the information and encouraging participation, including for homeschooling families. Please note that this is likely the last year the State Library will coordinate the program because of changes within the agency. State Library staff are working to find a new home for Letters About Literature. However, if no organization takes it on, this could be the program's last year in Oregon.

New Library Services and Technology Act Advisory Council Members Elected

The OSL Board of Trustees met December 5, 2014 and elected new members to the LSTA Advisory Council. New members are Melissa Maxwell from Lakeview, representing library users; Dana Campbell from Corvallis, representing public libraries; Jim Tindall from The Dalles, representing school libraries; and Jonathan Cain from Eugene, representing underserved/underrepresented.
They will start their three-year term on January 1, 2015. Contact information can be found on the Library Support and Development Services webpage<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/LSTAcouncilmem.aspx>.

Oregon Book Awards Promotion to Public Libraries is Changing

Since 1995, the Oregon Center for the Book has worked with Literary Arts, Inc.<http://www.literary-arts.org/> to promote the Oregon Book Awards<http://www.literary-arts.org/what-we-do/oba-home/> in libraries. During the month before the Awards were presented, the Oregon Center for the Book shipped copies of the finalists' titles (which are donated by the publishers) to 25 public libraries and encouraged libraries to engage their patrons in the Oregon Book Awards through local programming.

In 2015, the Oregon Center for the Book will no longer be a program of the State Library, and thus will not ship finalists' titles to public libraries. Literary Arts may continue to ship finalists' titles to some libraries, but will likely make changes to the program. The State Library will continue to provide a communications link between Literary Arts and the library community regarding the Oregon Book Awards.

You Are Invited to a Genealogical Materials Giveaway on January 21

You are invited to the Oregon State Library Genealogical Materials Giveaway on Wednesday, January 21 from 11 am to 3 pm at the Oregon State Library in the Reference room.
The Oregon State Library is reassessing its physical collections and realigning content to more closely fit with our collection guidelines and mission. As a result, we are downsizing our extensive genealogy collection and holding a Genealogical Materials Giveaway for both Oregon libraries and genealogical organizations.

This is a unique opportunity to obtain valuable resources in great condition that will enhance your local collections. Materials being offered include an extensive collection of family histories from many states, valuable genealogical reference sets and tools, some Oregon related materials, and a collection of genealogical serials. Lists of items are being prepared and will be posted on the web at a later date.

For questions or to RSVP, contact kate.e.mcgann at state.or.us<mailto:kate.e.mcgann at state.or.us>. If you are planning to attend, we will be sure to send you links to the title lists once they become available.

Return to top of page
Contacts

Oregon State Library

Library Support and Development Services: 503-378-2525, Ferol Weyand<mailto:FerolWeyand at oslmail.osl.state.or.us>, Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>, Ann Reed<mailto:ann.reed at state.or.us>, Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, Katie Anderson<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, Arlene Weible<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us>, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager: 503-378-5435, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.
[OSL Logo]

Government Information and Library Services Manager: 503-378-5030, Margie Harrison<mailto:margie.harrison at state.or.us>.

State Librarian: 503-378-4367, MaryKay Dahlgreen<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>.

Letter to Libraries Online Editor: 503-378-2464, Jessica Rondema<mailto:jessica.rondema at state.or.us>.

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the Oregon State Library. It is available free of charge and is published only in electronic form on the publications page<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/Pages/publications.aspx> on the Oregon State Library's website<http://www.oregon.gov/OSL>.