[Libs-Or] Library Advocacy Unshushed MOOC

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Jan 13 11:54:27 PST 2015

Greetings!

An exciting opportunity! Are you ready to MOOC? (What is a MOOC? A MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course which means that it is free to attend and open to all.)

ALA and CLA have partnered to bring library staff and supporters a MOOC on "Library Advocacy Unshushed: Values, Evidence, Action" which begins February 1st.

Register for FREE here: https://www.edx.org/course/library-advocacy-unshushed-university-torontox-la101x

>From the ALA Press Release:

The American Library Association is proud to announce its partnership with the Canadian Library Association (CLA) and the University of Toronto iSchool in offering its popular MOOC (Massively Open Online Course), entitled "Library Advocacy Unshushed: Values, Evidence, Action" beginning Feb. 1, 2015.

Wendy Newman, a senior fellow and lecturer at the Faculty of Information at the University of Toronto iSchool, will lead this six-week adaption of a popular online elective class on advocacy, offering anyone, anywhere in the world, the opportunity to learn more about advocacy for libraries and strengthening of the communities they serve.

"This MOOC takes advocacy training to the next level, reaching thousands of librarians and advocates through one course, while building on ALA's advocacy concepts and messages," said Courtney Young, ALA president. "The partnership with the University of Toronto iSchool and CLA is an exciting development for advocates and libraries in both countries - and around the world.

Previous participants described the MOOC as a breakthrough in their understanding and action planning, stating that the curriculum "showed me the value of building relationships", "made me approach our library's advocacy much differently" and "helped me see advocacy in a new light."   Over 5,200 individuals participated the last time the course was offered.

Offered through the EdX consortium, in which the University of Toronto collaborates with other leading universities, "Library Advocacy Unshushed" is now available for registration via this URL: https://www.edx.org/course/library-advocacy-unshushed-university-torontox-la101x#.VLBbWGMpcin

The course will start on Feb. 2, 2015, and ends March 23, 2015. There is no prerequisite, though basic knowledge of librarianship is recommended. Through this open form of course delivery, including videos, online discussions, quizzes, and video interviews with guest experts, participants will learn how to be powerful advocates for the values and future of libraries and librarianship. Participants should expect to commit four to five hours of study per week.

For more information, visit http://www.ala.org/onlinelearning/node/300

Cheers,
Darci
Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant
Library Support and Development Services * Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

[stORytime]<http://storytimeoregon.com/>