[Libs-Or] Farewell message from Susan Hildreth, Director of the Institute of Museum and Library Services

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Thu Jan 15 14:25:58 PST 2015

Every four years the president appoints a new director of IMLS.  The position alternates between a museum professional and a library professional. Susan Hildreth had been the director since 2011 and is stepping down this month. We don't know who (or when) a new director will be appointed. Susan was the director of the Seattle Public Library, the San Francisco Public Library and State Librarian of California, in addition to other positions, I think mostly in California's bay area.

Susan has posted a farewell message  to the IMLS blog<http://blog.imls.gov/?p=5507> and I would encourage you to take a look at the work and accomplishments of IMLS under her leadership. She has been a force of nature for libraries and museums in Washington DC. I think I am most impressed by the partnerships she has forged with other federal agencies that pave the way for state libraries to partner at the state level. I have been honored to work with Susan for the past several years and I thank her for everything she has done (and I'm guessing will continue to do) for libraries in the United States.

MaryKay

MaryKay Dahlgreen
Oregon State Librarian
503-378-4367