[Libs-Or] Governing article on 25 years of ADA

Abigail Elder aelder at beavertonoregon.gov
Fri Jul 10 10:59:43 PDT 2015

I'm a fan of Governing Magazine (which is free! You should subscribe.) The June cover story<http://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/gov-american-disabilities-act-compliance.html> looked at efforts to provide better job and recreation opportunities for people with disabilities, and this section caught my eye:

"... States will also have to defund facility-based "day habilitation" services, which are essentially recreational activities for groups of disabled people. That could signal a greater shift toward activities within public spaces like libraries and museums, tailored to individual interests for people with disabilities who aren't working."

Is this on your radar? Which libraries or other agencies are leaders in this area? The article notes that the states have five years to accomplish this, so it's coming up fast.

Thanks-- I look forward to your brilliant comments!
-abigail

Abigail Elder
Director | Beaverton City Library
12375 SW Fifth Street | Beaverton OR 97005
503.526.3705 | @beavertonlib | www.beavertonlibrary.org<http://www.beavertonlibrary.org/>

[cid:image004.jpg at 01CFEF8B.09AD2AF0]

PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE

This e-mail is a public record of the City of Beaverton and is subject to public disclosure unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law.  This email is subject to the State Retention Schedule.