[Libs-Or] Volunteer opportunity: ACRL 2015

Rachel Bridgewater rbridgewater at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 12:47:06 PST 2015

Dear colleagues,

First of all, thank you all for your great response to my previous call for
volunteers to help out with local arrangements at the upcoming ACRL
national conference in Portland.  As a result of that great response, most
of the volunteer slots are filled!  We could still use some more hosts for
the "Dinner with Colleagues" dinners, though!

These dinners are an opportunity for conference attendees to have an
informal dinner at one of Portland great restaurants.  Dinner with
colleagues will happen on Thursday night, March 26th.  Most of the
reservations are for 7:00 or 7:30pm.

The role of host is pretty flexible but the basic idea is that the host
would be the person who checked in at the restaurant, welcomed people as
they sat down at the table.  This person would also, ideally, be available
via text and/or cell phone in case people get lost or otherwise need to
check in.  An ideal host would also answer questions about Portland and
help keep conversation flowing at the table but the host isn't obligated to
do anything particular at the dinner.  The host is NOT responsible for
paying the bill; each person is responsible for their own meal.

Depending on the location of the restaurant, the time of the reservations,
and your schedule, it might also be nice to meet people at the convention
center earlier in the evening, introduce yourself, and answer any questions
about getting to the restaurant OR you might escort the party to the
restaurant.  Individual hosts can communicate with us about how they would
like to handle this part.

If you think you might be interested in hosting a table, let me know and
I'll give you the link to the list of restaurants and you can sign up for
the restaurant that excites you the most!  You do not need to be registered
for the conference in order to host a table.

Best regards,

Rachel