[Libs-Or] Joined the Ranks of the Unenviable

Harold A. Hayes hahayes at co.douglas.or.us
Thu Mar 19 11:27:21 PDT 2015

I received the following this afternoon from our County Finance Officer:

Please prepare your FY16 proposed budget for the budget committee based on the following instructions:

Library:
FY16 Proposed Budget Instruction:
-Build your proposed budget based on the "25% Reduction" comparative worksheet presented in the budget workshop meetings.

The  coming 15/16 fiscal year for the Douglas County Library System will see the following changes that will take effect July 1:

*         Significant reduction of staff in the 10 branch libraries and at Roseburg

*         Significant loss of open hours at the branches: Reedsport, Sutherlin, Myrtle Creek, & Winston will be open 12 hours per week (down from 24); Canyonville, Drain, Glendale, Oakland, Riddle, & Yoncalla will be open 4 hours per week (down from 16).

*         Significant loss in library programming at the branches and at Roseburg

*         Significant changes in what we can do and the service we can offer to the citizens of Douglas County

We were already operating far below a "Basic" level of service based on the new OLA standards; this puts us in the twilight zone!

Harold A. Hayes
Library Director
Douglas County Library System
1409 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.