[Libs-Or] Answerland Notable Transcript Award

Ann-Marie Anderson amanderson at mac.com
Tue May 12 15:44:59 PDT 2015

Hello,

Answerland, Oregon's Statewide Virtual Reference Service (http://www.answerland.org/), recognizes volunteer Kathryn Kohl for her excellent virtual reference work while staffing the service in February 2015. Kathryn’s transcript is online at www.answerland.org/awards

In this chat, the patron asks for help in learning how to find authoritative sources. Kathryn greets the patron and asks some clarifying questions, ascertaining that the patron has access to college library databases for writing a paper. In a straightforward, cheerfully helpful manner, Kathryn explains how to find and limit her results in the college library databases to health resources and to scholarly, peer reviewed articles, and how to find government or educational websites using Google’s advanced search limiters. Kathryn encourages the patron to follow up with the college librarians at her school to get an in-depth tour of what is available to her as a college student, reassuring her that her librarians would be happy to help. The patron says in her exit survey, “Kathryn, was very friendly and helpful, as I am a first time user I needed all the help I could get!”

The Answerland Quality Team is impressed with Kathryn’s reference interview, and her very encouraging manner with a student new to library electronic resources. As an expression of our appreciation, Kathryn was presented with flowers and a certificate. Please join us in congratulating her!

The Answerland Quality Team

Stephanie Debner, Mt. Hood Community College Library
Joanna Milner, Multnomah County Library
Emily Papagni, Multnomah County Library
Ann-Marie Anderson, Tigard Public Library