[Libs-Or] Are you an ALA member interested in sustainable libraries?

Filar Williams, Beth Beth.Filar-Williams at oregonstate.edu
Tue May 19 08:12:35 PDT 2015

Then join the FREE Virtual Membership Meeting<http://bit.ly/1IztI5o>, June 4th and support sustainable libraries!

The Sustainability Roundtable<http://www.ala.org/sustainrt/> was formed to help libraries foster resilient communities. As we wrap up our first year of existence we’re excited to report we’re introducing our very first resolution on the Importance of Sustainable Libraries at the ALA Virtual Membership Meeting on June 4th.  The goals of the resolution are to inspire ALA to act as an organization to:

  *   recognize the important and unique role libraries play in wider community conversations about resiliency, climate change, and a sustainable future and begin a new era of sustainable leadership in order to act on economic, environmental and socially equitable viability of choices made on behalf of the association;
  *   enthusiastically encourage activities — as an association, and for its membership, library schools and state associations — to proactively apply sustainable practices in their facilities, operations, policy, technology, programming, partnerships and library school curricula; and
  *   direct ALA staff, divisions and round tables to pursue sustainable choices when planning their conferences and meetings
  *   actively promote best practices of sustainability through ALA publications, research and educational opportunities to reach our shared goal of vital, visible and viable libraries for the future.  (read the full resolution here<http://connect.ala.org/node/239011>)

The resolution was crowdsourced through the SustainRT membership building off of a successful model resolution passed by the New York Library Association! Sound like something you can get behind?   Then join us at the ALA Virtual Membership Meetin<http://bit.ly/1IztI5o>g, registration is now open: http://bit.ly/1IztI5o

Stay in touch with SustainRT:

  *   Add SustainRT to your ALA membership<http://www.ala.org/membership/renew-update> for $10/year!
  *   ALA listserv<http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/sustainrt-l>
  *   ALA Connect<http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/sustainrt-l>
  *   Facebook<http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/sustainrt-l>
  *   LinkedIn<http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/sustainrt-l>

—
Sent from Beth and the SustainRT Marketing + Outreach Project Team<http://www.ala.org/sustainrt/how-get-involved>

Beth Filar Williams
Head of Library Experience + Access Department (LEAD)
OSU Libraries + Press | 121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University | Corvallis, OR 97331-5101
541-737-2156 | beth.filar-williams at oregonstate.edu <mailto:beth.filar-williams at oregonstate.edu>