[Libs-Or] Drawing the line between reference and advice

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Mon Nov 23 15:04:02 PST 2015

I'm wondering if anyone has any good resources for staff training, or even good rules of thumb, for drawing a line between reference and advice. For example, I've recently had some staff members get drawn into proofreading papers, giving advice on resume wording, offering to read and critique cover letters, and items of that nature. I feel that one-on-one resume advice or proofreading/critiquing a paper crosses a line, much like giving medical advice or tax advice, but I'm finding it a bit hard to articulate to staff, other than to remind them that our job is to offer resources so that people can learn to do things themselves. Thoughts? Advice?

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201