[Libs-Or] Fwd: Reading While White

Martín Blasco MartinB at wccls.org
Thu Sep 24 09:04:00 PDT 2015

Hi Max:
This is a very important, crucial issue to bring on the table. As librarians working with the Latino and Spanish speaking community, we always have to be aware of our “core beliefs” and don’t be afraid of making a point. Racism is embedded, permeated, in a minority of the planet’s population (yes, white people, including myself, even when I’m Latino). Racism is the tool of the privileged to perpetuate power. Of course, this is reflected in our education and what it is published (in the media as a whole).
We are trying to select books for the Mock Pura Belpré Award, and it’s like doing an archeological work. It’s almost impossible to find books written by Latino authors and illustrators (only 2% of what is printed is relevant to the Latino culture).
Our presenter for the Mock Pura Belpré Award in Oregon is going to touch this issue. A good space to have a discussion.
Thank you so much for sharing the article in the blog,

Martín
Chair REFORMA Oregon Chapter.