[Libs-Or] Public Wifi

Oregon Trail Library District Director otlddirector at centurylink.net
Fri Sep 25 09:06:32 PDT 2015

Hey everyone,

I know this has already been covered but I need advice. One of our branches has been offered internet at no cost that will be a great increase in service. But.....the person in charge wants to control the wifi with a password only available to patrons that come into the library. This would limit wifi to anyone who doesn't get the password during workng hours. The password would be changed randomly but it sounds like it wouldn't be daily. I would love the service for our computers, but I am not in favor of the password system. Their theory is that it would limit "deadbeats and undesirable people" from using our wifi for illicit purposes. He claims that if a patron uses our wifi for illegal activities we the library will be open for prosecution. Do we accept the better service and continue to pay for our current internet to allow 24/7 service? Or do we accept the offer and their limitations?

Thanks everyone in advance for your expert advice.

Kathy Street, MLS
Library Director
Oregon Trail Library District