[Libs-Or] History of School Library Staffing in Oregon: 1980 to 2014

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Fri Apr 29 17:39:06 PDT 2016

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi,

The State Librarian has tracked the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) licensed school librarians employed in Oregon public schools since the 1980-81 school year. Recently we also started tracking the number of FTE school library support staff. For figures and a chart related to the 34-year span, see the attached PDF. Here is brief snapshot:

School Year

Schools

Library Support Staff (FTE)

Licensed Librarians (FTE)

Students Per Licensed Librarian

  Licensed School Librarians
  per School (FTE)

1980-81

1,284

n/a

818

547

  0.64

2011-12

1,253

697

203

2,763

  0.16

2012-13

1,246

681

144

3,915

  0.12

2013-14

1,239

688

129

4,396

  0.10

2014-15

1,236

718

130

4,391

  0.11

Percent Change from 1980 to 2014

- 84.11%

+702.74%

  -82.81%

Overall library staffing increased by 3.92% from 2013-14 to 2014-15, and as part of that, the number of licensed librarians increased by .78% while the number of library support staff increased 4.36%. From what I’ve seen and heard, the number of licensed librarians should increase a bit more substantially for next year’s report. All good news.

The data comes from the Oregon Department of Education (ODE). Depending on the year, some of the figures are included in the Oregon Statewide Annual Report Card (http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=1821) or the last page of the Oregon School Directory (http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/results/?id=227). We ask staff at ODE to fill in any gaps.

Note that the staffing information on page 8 of the 2014-15 report card, and for many previous years, combines figures for school library licensed and support staff. When we pointed out that this could be confusing since there is a separate row for general support staff, ODE added a note to the bottom of the chart.

Questions? Please ask.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant
Library Support and Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
503.378.5011