[Libs-Or] Self-paced Courses, Articles, and Upcoming Webinars from WebJunction

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Feb 24 09:15:08 PST 2016

Greetings everyone!

WebJunction’s free, online course catalog has over 40 self-paced, online courses on library topics, as well as over 185 curated webinar archives ready and available when you are. Explore the catalog today!<http://learn.webjunction.org/>

Articles from WebJunction

·         Racial Equity in the Library<http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/racial-equity-partone.html>: A two-part series taking a look at a complex and broad issue: racial equity in the library. As we participate in conversations about the future of the library and its critical place within the community, equity issues continue to surface. These articles are a place for libraries to start or to continue the process of understanding, listening and conversing.

·         Friend Speed Dating: a Program for People in their 20s and 30s<http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/friend-speed-dating.html>: An engaging how-to article on creating a fun networking program for people in their 20s and 30s.

Upcoming Webinar and Online Symposium

If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the course catalog<http://learn.webjunction.org/>.

Purposeful Innovation: Idea Engagement for Libraries
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 ♦ 3 pm Eastern / 12 pm Pacific ♦ 60 min
Registration: http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/purposeful-innovation-idea-management-for-libraries.html

Sooner or later, all libraries need to realign or reinvent services and workflows to respond to shifting community needs, but there’s often a disconnect between ideas generated by staff on the front lines and the decisions made by management. Imagine a library where all staff feel empowered to submit, vote and comment on service and workflow ideas. To reach this ideal, Sno-Isle Libraries (WA) has embraced the idea management process in order to consider and approve ideas holistically, for cost, benefit and time, and before a heavy investment of resources. Sno-Isle Libraries realized that building a collaborative, transparent framework to support workflows, change, ideas and community engagement is essential to creating a culture of purposeful innovation. During this webinar, you’ll gain a clear understanding of the "what" and "why" of idea management, hear lessons learned, and leave with tools to empower staff to lead from any position by sharing their ideas.

Presented by: Christa Werle, Public Services Project Manager, Sno-Isle Libraries, Washington

Supervisor Success: Developing Programs That Work
Thursday, March 31, 2016 ♦ 1 pm Eastern / 10 am Pacific ♦ 3 hours 30 min
Registration: http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/supervisor-success-symposium.html

As our profession transforms and our work changes, nurturing skillful and competent supervisors has become a priority for all types of libraries. Rising to the challenge, many people are creating and offering learning and development programs in their libraries. Whether we hire outside consultants or create in-house programs, we could all benefit from knowing the best practices. Let’s learn together about the most effective and low-cost options for supervisor development programs, and how to strategically promote implementation of those programs in our organizations. And let’s explore how we might motivate our supervisors to fully benefit from their learning.

If you are interested in developing supervisor training programs for your library, get this one-day, free symposium on your calendar! This online event will bring together some of the most effective practices for supporting supervisor development. You’ll hear from a variety of different libraries about their programs so that you can begin thinking about offering your own.

This symposium is hosted in collaboration with ALA's Learning Round Table<http://www.ala.org/learnrt/>.

Please see the registration page for more details about the symposium and three topics which will be covered. You can attend any or all of the three sessions. There will be a short break in between the sessions, and your registration link will work the entire time. All presentations will be recorded and available after the symposium is completed.

Presented by: Jerilyn Veldof, University of Minnesota; Heather Sostrom, Northeast Florida Library Information Network (NEFLIN); and Sandra Smith, Denver Public Library

Cheers,
Darci

[cid:image007.png at 01D16EE3.DA6C7EB0]<http://oregonedge.net/>
Ask me about the Edge Initiative!<http://oregonedge.net/>
Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant
Library Support and Development Services * Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>