[Libs-Or] Associate University Librarian for Research & Scholarly Communication
cheryl.middleton at oregonstate.edu
Wed Jan 13 12:16:43 PST 2016
OSU Libraries seeks an innovative, dynamic, and experienced library leader to join the organization’s leadership team as the Associate University Librarian for Research and Scholarly Communication. As part of the senior administrative team, the AUL for Research and Scholarly Communication will guide the Libraries’ path to excellence in delivering services to the OSU community and beyond. The AUL for Research and Scholarly Communication has oversight for the Libraries’ crucial role in the life cycle of scholarship from acquiring, describing, and creating to discovery and delivery as well as preservation. She/he supervises and works collaboratively with department heads to identify and implement the strategic directions for several library departments directly engaged in collection development and management; digital content creation, discovery, and preservation; open scholarship and publishing; intellectual property; data management, and management and development of an innovative yet sustainable technology infrastructure. These departments are: the Center for Digital Scholarship and Services, the Emerging Technologies and Services Department, the Special Collections and Archives Research Center, and the Resource Acquisitions & Sharing Department. The AUL will provide leadership, motivation, and vision for the resourceful and creative faculty and staff within these units. This librarian will demonstrate a strong commitment to the Libraries’ strategic and collaborative development and management of library services, collections, technology, and personnel so that they respond adroitly to users' evolving needs as researchers and scholars. This position will provide direction for building partnerships with other OSU units and library partners to continue transforming the OSU Libraries’ vital role as a partner in creating and disseminating knowledge.
OSU Libraries has nearly 2 million volumes and vast digital resources including ScholarsArchive at OSU 8th ranked single-university repository in the U.S.), internationally recognized digital collections like the Oregon Explorer natural resources digital library, and an agile development environment serving the University's 28,000 students, faculty scholars and researchers, and the public. Launched in 2009, Oregon Digital is a successful partnership between the Oregon State University and the University of Oregon that shares digital collections and infrastructure; Oregon Digital joined the Hydra Project in 2014. OSU Libraries is also a member of the Orbis/Cascades Alliance of 37 Northwest universities and colleges and the Greater Western Library Alliance, a research library consortium with 34 members located largely in the U.S. West.
The OSU Libraries' Special Collections and Archives Research Center's holdings include the Ava Helen and Linus Pauling Papers as the cornerstone for collections on the history of science and technology in the 20th century; extensive collections recording the history of OSU; the Oregon Multicultural Archives, which documents the lives and activities of ethnic minority communities in Oregon; extensive collections pertaining to natural resources in Oregon and the Northwest; the Oregon Hops and Brewing Archives, the first archive of its kind to document the hops growing and craft brewing industries; and several rare book collections.
* MLS from an ALA-accredited library program or foreign equivalent.
* Minimum of five years of leadership and management experience in an academic or research library with progression towards increasing responsibility including successful leadership of strategic and organizational change, inspiring innovation, and serving as an advocate and spokesperson for OSU Libraries & Press and its constituents.
* A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity within organizations and effectively mentoring of staff and faculty to help them cultivate a similar commitment.
* Proven ability to manage, allocate and monitor collections and departmental budgets.
* Experience working collaboratively and developing partnerships with academic departments, state and regional agencies and consortia.
* Experience mentoring and coaching staff at all levels including successful experience supporting tenure-track faculty.
* Strong record of ongoing scholarly publication, research and national participation in professional societies suitable for appointment with tenure.
* Experience in developing programs, events and activities that inform faculty, students, library staff and others about OSU research collections and scholarly communication and the application of technology.
* Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
· Additional graduate degree along with MLS
· Experience with new information technologies, evolving models of scholarship, open access, open data, and open educational resources with the ability to articulate how these influence teaching, learning and scholarship.
· Experience participating in broad discussions and initiatives relevant to library mission, values and vision.
· Experience administering and assessing digital library and unique collection initiatives and/or other programs and services relevant to position responsibilities.
· Experience participating in a library fundraising and development program, engaging with new and ongoing donors and providing stewardship information to major donors.
About Oregon State University
Oregon State is a leading research university located in one of the safest, smartest, greenest small cities in the nation: http://oregonstate.edu/main/about. Situated 90 miles south of Portland, 40 miles north of Eugene and an hour from the Cascade Mountains or the Pacific Coast, Corvallis is the perfect home base for exploring Oregon’s natural wonders. The university has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, multiculturalism and community, and the University actively recruits and retains a diverse workforce and student body that includes members of historically underrepresented groups.
OSU Libraries & Press is:
A great place for research. Our Scholars Archive is ranked #8 among university repositories in the United States. The Libraries are an active leader in open access to research and offer data services for graduate students and faculty doing research.
A leader in innovation. To provide the best resources for students and faculty at one of the nation’s leading research universities, OSU Libraries are a national leader in technological innovation and services for library users.
An excellent place to work. The Libraries and OSU Press believe in Innovation, Heart and Ideas, and the dedication to these ideals is evident among staff. We invite you to join us.
Full-time, 12 month, annual tenure track appointment tenure rank. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent medical, dental, and life insurance; staff tuition fee privileges for employee or a dependent at an Oregon University System school (restrictions apply). This position earns 15 hours of vacation and eight hours of sick leave each month.
Application Procedure and Deadline:
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by February 7, 2016. Job requirements and application instructions are available at: http://jobs.oregonstate.edu<http://jobs.oregonstate.edu/>. Look for posting #0016942.
OSU is committed to a culture of civility, respect, and inclusivity. We have a policy of being responsive to the needs of dual-career couples. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, OSU values diversity in our faculty and staff regardless of their self-identity; to that end, we particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, veterans, women, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: AULRSC 2016.doc
Size: 50176 bytes
Desc: AULRSC 2016.doc
More information about the Libs-Or