[Libs-Or] We're hiring! Youth Services Librarian I @ SPL

Adrienne Doman Calkins AdrienneC at wccls.org
Wed Jun 29 14:33:17 PDT 2016

Hello All,

Sherwood Public Library seeks a fun, kid-loving part-time Youth Services Librarian I to join our team.  We are looking for someone who loves delivering storytimes and programs for patrons birth through grade 12, engaging in readers' advisory, reference, and who can brighten the world with beautiful displays and publicity. We embrace life-long learning and the changing role of libraries to best meet our patrons' needs. Come be a part of what makes Sherwood a great place to be.

The official job announcement is below and linked here: http://www.sherwoodoregon.gov/hr/page/librarian-i-youth-services-part-time

Librarian I (Youth Services)
Part Time (20 hours per week) / Non-Exempt / AFSCME Represented

SALARY:                    $21.37 - $27.35 Hourly           Plus 6% City Paid PERS

OPENS:                      June 29, 2016

CLOSES:                    July 13, 2016 at 5:00pm PST

APPLY TO:                 Human Resources - City of Sherwood
                                    22560 SW Pine Street
                              Sherwood, OR 97140
                                    (503) 625-4201 - Fax (503) 625-4280
                                    humanresources at sherwoodoregon.gov<mailto:humanresources at sherwoodoregon.gov>

SUMMARY AND REQUIREMENTS
The Librarian I (Youth Services) performs a range of professional library services, including reference and readers' advisory, collection development, community outreach and the development and implementation of programming- with an emphasis on storytimes and other programs for patrons from birth through grade 12.  Additional duties may include social media and email marketing, website maintenance, designing promotional materials, creating displays and bulletin boards. Act as a support for Librarian II (Youth Services).  May act in a lead capacity as Library person-in-charge in the absence of a Supervising Librarian. This opportunity is for part time, 20 hours per week. Regularly scheduled shifts, some weekends and evenings required.

MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS: Broad knowledge of the principles, practices and philosophy of public library operations, current methods and principles governing reference services, and collection management of print and non-print materials. Completion of an ALA accredited Master's of Library Science program, and one year professional Librarian experience in a public library system, or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above duties.

DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE OR SKILLS:  Proficiency with the Polaris ILS in the Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS) environment is preferred.

APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESSES

To apply, submit a completed City Application, cover letter that includes responses to the supplemental questions below, and resume, to the Human Resource Department on or before the closing date. Electronic copies are accepted with a signature. Application materials will be used to select the top candidates. Those selected for further consideration will be invited to an oral interview. Prior to hiring, the successful candidate may be asked to complete a satisfactory pre-employment criminal history background check.

SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS (Please include your responses in your cover letter.)

1.     The position is funded for 20 hours per week. Shifts will be regularly scheduled, with opportunities to adjust for trainings, programs, events and outreach. What is your schedule availability?

  1.  What training have you received in early literacy? Have you received any additional training pertinent to Youth and Teen Services? In what areas do you think you would need additional training to perform this job?

APPLICATION MATERIALS

Application materials can be found online at www.sherwoodoregon.gov<http://www.sherwoodoregon.gov> or may be requested by mail by calling Human Resources at (503) 625-4201.

NOTIFICATION

Applicants that are not selected will be notified by phone or mail once the position has been filled.

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or physical disability. The City of Sherwood provides access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation, contact the Human Resource Department at (503) 625-4201.

---

Feel free to contact me directly for questions.

Adrienne Doman Calkins
Library Manager, Sherwood Public Library
22560 SW Pine Street, Sherwood, OR 97140
503-625-4272  |  AdrienneC at wccls.org<mailto:AdrienneC at wccls.org>
www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library<http://www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library>  |  Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/sherwoodpubliclibrary> |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/sherwoodlibrary>  |   Instagram<https://instagram.com/sherwoodlibrary/>
A member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services