[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] Why ALA’s new public awareness campaign is essential for your library

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 1 12:43:10 PST 2016

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
Date: Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM
Subject: [alacro-l] Why ALA’s new public awareness campaign is essential
for your library
To: "alacro-l at lists.ala.org" <alacro-l at lists.ala.org>

The library story is one many Americans believe they can tell; but when
their version sounds more like an old episode of *Leave It to Beaver* than
the latest binge-worthy Netflix show, the library profession must reclaim
its identity to better reflect the reality of today’s libraries.

The notion of telling and retelling the library story is at the heart
of Libraries
Transform, <http://librariestransform.org> the American Library
Association’s (ALA) new public awareness campaign. Libraries Transform is
meant to give voice to the library profession, providing one clear,
energizing message that showcases the transformative nature of libraries,
elevating the critical role that libraries of all kinds play in the digital
age.

The campaign was designed around three key questions:

   1. How do we shift perceptions of the library from “obsolete” or “nice
   to have” to essential?
   2. How do we energize library professionals?
   3. How do we build external advocates to influence local, state, and
   national decision makers?

Read more
<http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2016/03/01/libraries-transform-essential-for-your-library/>

Don Wood
Program Officer
Chapter Relations Office
<http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/cro/index.cfm>
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
dwood at ala.org
1-800-545-2433, ext. 2429; 312-280-2429
312-280-4392 (fax)

“Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only
thing.”—Albert Schweitzer

“One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen, can change the world.”—Malala
Yousafzai

“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting
to improve the world.”—Anne Frank

If you no longer wish to receive information via this e-list, here are the
instructions on how to unsubscribe:

UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS:
* Go to http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/alacro-l
* Log in on this page; first time users will need to get a password by
following instructions
* Choose Unsubscribe from the left-hand column and follow instructions

--
Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Representative

Phone: 503-725-8169