[Libs-Or] Personal electronic device charging stations for public use - request for input

Jon Chess jonch at multcolib.org
Fri May 20 10:23:47 PDT 2016

Hello,

I’m Jon Chess, part of a project team at Multnomah County Library that is
addressing the power needs of our patrons.  Many library patrons rely on
personal electronic devices to stay connected, and find it challenging to
access a power supply in our buildings when they desperately need it.
  This often results in unsafe use of electrical outlets (e.g. charging
cords creating trip hazards), and theft opportunities when personal devices
are left unattended.

Our team is focusing on testing personal electronic device charging
stations as a way to provide patrons a safe and convenient way to
adequately charge their device. As part of our information gathering phase,
our team is hoping that you could briefly share responses to any, or all,
of the questions listed below.  Our team is meeting again *June 22*, and
would like to consider your input as we move ahead.

If you *do not* provide dedicated charging stations, we are still very
interested in hearing how public demand for power is impacting your
service.

If you *do* provide dedicated charging stations, here is what we are hoping
to learn:

   1.

   Do you currently provide dedicated electronic device charging stations
   for the public?  If yes, what is the make/model of your charging station?

   1.

   Do your charging stations provide assorted cables for different devices
   - or just power outlets and/or usb ports?

   1.

   Do your charging stations provide a “rapid charge” feature?

   1.

   Where are your charging stations located (e.g. near a service desk, on a
   reading room table)?

   1.

   Do you have written policies that govern the use of your charging
   stations (e.g. time limits, use at own risk, etc.)?

   1.

   Have you had problems with security while devices are be recharged?

   1.

   What level of staff involvement is needed to monitor and/or troubleshoot
   your charging stations?

   1.

   Have you experienced any problems with patrons crowding around the
   charging stations?

   1.

   Have the charging stations been well received by your patrons?  By your
   staff?

   1.

   Any other observations about the use of dedicated charging stations for
   patron devices in your library?

Thank you very much in advance.  Any information you share is greatly
appreciated by our project team - as well as by our patrons :)

Sincerely,

Jon Chess

Multnomah County Library

--
*Jon Chess, Librarian*

*Central LibraryMultnomah County Library*
*801 SW 10*
*Portland, OR  97205*
*503-988-5728 <503-988-5728>*

*jonch at multcolib.org <jonch at multcolib.org>www.multcolib.org