[Libs-Or] quick copyright question for the hive mind

Ross Betzer rossbk at multcolib.org
Wed May 25 09:34:56 PDT 2016

There might not be a quick answer to your question, Bryan...

If you haven't already, you could take a look at the Association of
Research Libraries' *Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and
Research Libraries
<http://www.arl.org/focus-areas/copyright-ip/fair-use/code-of-best-practices>
*(2012),
as a place to learn more about fair use and how academic libraries are
interpreting it.

The Copyright.gov website makes available on their website a bunch of
circulars <http://www.copyright.gov/circs/> (some of them pretty long) with
various information about copyright: Circular 21 is titled "Reproduction of
Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians."

And of course the obligatory disclaimer: I am a librarian and not a lawyer
and, while I can help you find information and assistance, I cannot provide
legal advice.

-Ross

*Ross Betzer*
*Information Services Librarian, Multnomah County Central Library*
*rossbk at multcolib.org <rossbk at multcolib.org> | 503.988.5728*