[Libs-Or] Day in the Life of a County Law Librarian

Sue Ludington Sue_Ludington at co.washington.or.us
Tue Feb 28 10:58:29 PST 2017

Hello library friends,
While the author of this article is from California, I thought her depiction of what it's like to work in a public law library was spot on. This was particularly good:

"People come into my law library, by and large, because they are in crisis. Their need is vast and endless. Public libraries like to tell the happy stories-kids at storytime, job applicants. At the law library, we are open to the public, but the stories are rarely happy. People enter with the fear that they don't belong. They're scared, lost, confused, hopeless. Our users struggle to understand and articulate their problems, and they're up against a system they know almost nothing about. Heightened emotions are the norm."

http://lithub.com/librarians-in-the-21st-century-why-law-libraries-are-more-important-than-ever/

Thank you for referring your patrons who desperately need expert legal assistance to their local county law library - we'll do our best to help!
-Sue

Sue Ludington
Assistant Law Librarian
Washington County Law Library