[Libs-Or] Oregon State University Libraries Seminar Series

Mellinger, Margaret Margaret.Mellinger at oregonstate.edu
Fri Sep 22 13:12:54 PDT 2017

All are invited to attend the first seminar of the OSU Libraries’ Library Faculty Association Seminar Series. Bring your colleagues and friends!
The seminar will take place on October 13th, 2017 from 10:00 to 11:30am in the Willamette Seminar Rooms (Valley 3622) on the 3rd floor of the Valley Library. Light refreshments will be provided.

Please contact Clara.Llebot at oregonstate.edu<mailto:Clara.Llebot at oregonstate.edu> or Margaret.Mellinger at oregonstate<mailto:Margaret.Mellinger at oregonstate> with any questions. Library visitor info (including campus map and parking info) can be found online: http://osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/visit

We will have three different talks from three of our Libraries and Press faculty members:

10:00 AM Copyright Education and the Undergraduate Student, by Jane Nichols

Jane Nichols, Associate Professor and Head of the Teaching and Engagement Department will talk about how scenario-based learning allows librarians to highlight the context-dependent nature of copyright when teaching undergraduates. In two learning activities, students analyzed scenarios related to copyright, fair use, Creative Commons, and the public domain. Using Char Booth’s USER model (2011), student assessment and iterative co-reflection, we modified our copyright session to increase its relevancy and narrow the gap between students’ existing knowledge and our anticipated outcomes.

10:30 AM Retrieving Oregon Indians* from Obscurity: A Project to Enhance Access to Resources on Tribal History and Culture, by Richard Sapon-White

Presented by Richard Sapon-White, the Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services, we will hear about a project to enhance access to resources on tribal history and culture. Retrieval of resources on Oregon Indian tribes is complicated by their history. Their forced removal from their native lands and the establishment of reservations where multiple tribes now live together has made the identification of historical tribes with federally recognized tribes extremely complex.  Richard Sapon-White’s project will establish subject headings for some tribes not yet present in Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and will upgrade existing records in an effort to improve the discoverability of resources for these marginalized groups.

11:00 AM Language minorities = 404 page not found, by Laurie Bridges

Laurie Bridges, Instruction and Outreach Librarian, will talk about the situation of linguistic diversity on the internet. The fact that most of the content is accessible in only the most frequently spoken languages in the world is obviously an obstacle for universal freedom of access to information but also for freedom of expression. Indeed, an opinion expressed in English has a far bigger audience and therefore more weight, than an opinion expressed in an infrequent native language. What is the situation regarding these issues today (facts and figures)? Are there projects going on around the world to address this issue? Did social media bring some progress since the 2000’s?

We hope to see you there!

Clara Llebot Lorente and Margaret Mellinger
LFA Seminar Series Coordinators 2017-2018