[Libs-Or] security guards

Zeller, April April.Zeller at oregonstate.edu
Tue Apr 3 05:13:53 PDT 2018

Hello Sami!
The Valley Library at Oregon State University has two security guards between Midnight-7am during the regular term since we are a 24/5 library.
They check student IDs for us at the entrance (as a student ID is required during those hours,) they also provide hourly headcounts, and patrol our six-story building to make sure the students studying are all safe. They also do other tasks when requested, such as walking a student to their car, or helping sand icy walkways outside. They also serve as back up in the event of an emergency since we have limited staffing during those hours. They do have a lot of downtime since they don’t have a huge list of assigned tasks.

I think our guards have been very successful at the job we’ve contracted them to do, and I really like having our guards; they bring a comforting air of authority to our student body during the late hours especially since they have a uniform. It also helps that we’ve had the same team consistently, so they really get to build personal relationships and understand the needs of our patrons during the night.

April Star Zeller
Circulation, 24/5 Student Supervisor
121 The Valley Library, Corvallis OR 97331
Sunday-Thursday, 10:30pm-7am
(541) 737-3991