[Libs-Or] 2018 Annual Report on Challenges is now available

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Tue Sep 4 09:08:44 PDT 2018

The 2018 Annual Report<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=43653214> on Challenges to Intellectual Freedom in Oregon Libraries is now available on the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse (OIFC) website<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc>.

In the past, the OIFC was focused on collecting challenges to library materials only. Now libraries are encouraged to also report challenges to library services, privacy, and internet and computer access, as well as hate crimes. This past year there were 24 challenges at 13 libraries in Oregon, one of which was a library service challenge. Read the report to find out what happened!

I encourage you to incorporate the titles of the challenged materials in your Banned Books Week<https://bannedbooksweek.org/> displays and activities.  Many people may not realize that book banning is not a thing from the past or that attempts to ban books are made every year right here in Oregon.

Thanks,
Tamara

Tamara Ottum
Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse Coordinator
https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc
State Library of Oregon | Library Support & Development Services
tamara.ottum at state.or.us<mailto:tamara.ottum at state.or.us> | 503-378-6506<tel:%20(503)%20378-6506> | www.oregon.gov/osl<http://www.oregon.gov/osl>