[Libs-Or] Unattended children in the library
GaleJ at milwaukieoregon.gov
Tue Apr 23 13:46:22 PDT 2019
This is our unattended child policy – I believe it was developed with help from our city attorney with regard to state law. Our biggest issue (when we were in a 2 story building) was adults wanting to leave children under 5 in the children’s library while they went upstairs, and it was so helpful to have the policy to rely on instead of making case-by-case decisions. When we’ve had issues with older children, we’ve tried to get in touch with the parents to inform them of the policy.
UNATTENDED CHILDREN POLICY
Ledding Library of Milwaukie
The Ledding Library is a public place and the staff is not responsible for the safety of a child in the absence of an adult/responsible caregiver. In order to provide for the general safety of children using Ledding Library, the following has been established:
1. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult/responsible caregiver and not be left unattended in the Ledding Library (ORS 163.545)*. The adult/responsible caregiver must remain in the building during the entire time that the child is within the library.
2. Children under 5 years of age may not be left unattended at any time while within the Ledding Library. This means the adult/responsible caregiver must supervise the child during the entire library visit.
3. Library staff is not responsible for the supervision of children left unattended.
4. If an unattended child under 10 years of age is in the Ledding Library at the time of Library closures, the Milwaukie Police will be called to ensure the safety of the unattended minors.
*The Oregon Revised Statues:
163.545 Child neglect in the second degree.
(1) A person having custody or control of a child under 10 years of age commits the crime of child neglect in the second degree if, with criminal negligence, the person leaves the child unattended in or at any place for such period of time as may be likely to endanger the health or welfare of such child.
(2) Child neglect in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor.
Children’s Librarian, Ledding Library
City of Milwaukie
9600 SE Main St. • Milwaukie, OR 97222
From: Libs-Or <libs-or-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us> On Behalf Of Ione Lib.
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:47 PM
To: libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: [Libs-Or] Unattended children in the library
We are a small, rural library and we're looking for library policies concerning unattended children in the library. We want children to use our library and many do come in unattended by an adult. And we want our library to be a safe place that kids can come if they need help. But at what point does the use cross the line to babysitting and how do we prevent that?
PO Box 125
Ione, OR 97843
ionelibrary at gmail.com<mailto:ionelibrary at gmail.com>
The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Libs-Or