[Libs-Or] Free Speech spaces at your library

Christopher Rumbaugh CRumbaugh at cityofsalem.net
Tue Dec 24 09:57:52 PST 2019

Colleagues,

Salem Public Library will be moving out of its main building for about 2 years during a seismic retrofit project. Our temporary space is small in comparison to our main building. In our temporary facility, we lose the area in front of the library which was designated free speech space for petitioners, cookie sellers, etc. In addition we lose our breezeway, where people post handbills and local freebie/giveaway papers are placed. City Legal asked us to reach out to the Library community to find out how smaller library facilities handle these things. Do all libraries offer such facilities? If so, what is "enough"? Safe ingress/egress will legally win-out in terms of the outdoor space, but we are particularly unclear about the handbill and freebie area.

Thanks in advance,

-Christopher D. Rumbaugh
Adult Department Manager
City of Salem Public Library