[Libs-Or] Fine Free Libraries

Julie Retherford julie at chetcolibrary.org
Fri Jan 25 12:01:44 PST 2019

Hi, Rita!  My current library here (and the entire Coastline Consortium) just recently went fine free for juveniles, but not for everyone. I would love to go 100% fine free, though.  My library in Ohio went fine free a couple years and it was great.

Basic arguments for it:

*        Research shows fines don’t have a real impact on return rates

*        Fines only have an impact on low income people—it’s not a big deal for someone with money to pay a $10 fine, but for someone who doesn’t have a job or struggles to pay their bills, you may as well ask for $500

*        For a lot of libraries, fine collection is a very small part of their budget

*        What has a bigger impact on return rates is blocking checkouts. If someone has 3 overdue items and they aren’t allowed to check anything else out until they return the overdue items, they will return them.

*        It creates a TON of goodwill from the community. When we went fine free it was in the newspapers and on the radio, and we milked it. And we had a HUGE number of people come in after not having come in for 20+ years, all because they had very minor late fines.

*        If something is more than 4 or 6 or 8 weeks overdue (however long you want), you just charge them for the book. Late fines do not preclude you from having lost item charges

There are a lot of articles out there about going Fine Free.  I encourage you to take some time and learn about it! And if you’re going to be at WLA-OLA, I’m in the group presenting with Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney and would be happy to chat with you more.

Regards,

Julie Retherford, Director

Chetco Community Public Library

541.469.7738