[Libs-Or] Women of Library History: María Teresa Márquez and CHICLE: The First Chicana/o Electronic Mailing List

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:25:38 PST 2019

Welcome to another year of Women of Library History posts sponsored by the
ALA/SRRT Feminist Task Force!  We will have a post scheduled for every
other Wednesday. Our goal for 2019 is to keep posts going all year, rather
than only posting in March.

Submissions are still being accepted for 2019–please see our Call for
Submissions <http://womenoflibraryhistory.tumblr.com/submit2019> for
details on the Tumblr site.

*This piece by Miguel Juárez is reprinted, with permission, from Mujeres
Talk, where it was posted in 2014
<https://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=https%3A%2F%2Flibrary.osu.edu%2Fblogs%2Fmujerestalk%2F2014%2F03%2F11%2Fon-chicle-and-teresa-marquez%2F&t=YTlkMzZhMjVhOTA3NTdmNGEwMTkzZTM2MDU0ZDk4OTg4YzI5YTQ3NyxrUG05NUwxNQ%3D%3D&b=t%3AmbBWSKl-DvfQkqR8zDOi2w&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwomenoflibraryhistory.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F183141060828%2Fmar%C3%ADa-teresa-m%C3%A1rquez-and-chicle-the-first&m=0>.
*

...In April 1991, Márquez attended the Nineteenth Annual Conference (*Los
Dos M**é**xicos*) of the National Association of [Chicana and ] Chicano
Studies (NACS) in Hermosillo, Sonora, México. One of the panels, moderated
by Professor Francisco Lomelí, University of California, Santa Barbara,
presented papers on “Literatura Chicana.”  While discussing the topic,
scholars raised problems encountered in communicating with each other and
in sharing information on new publications and current research. Márquez
volunteered to create a listserv or electronic mailing list and explained
how it could be of use in keeping scholars informed. At UNM, she developed
the list and Professor Erlinda V. Gonzales-Berry, then a faculty member in
the UNM Spanish Department, coined its name-CHICLE (which translates into
gum in Spanish). CHICLE stood for Chicana/Chicano Literature Exchange....
(Much more on the Tumblr page)

--
*Diedre Conkling*
*diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou