[Libs-Or] Dr. Reese's lecture and forwarded message

Robertshaw, Brooke Brooke.Robertshaw at oregonstate.edu
Sat Nov 2 21:50:33 PDT 2019

Hi all-
I echo the call for Debbie Reese to be a speaker, but, honestly, I think it would be just as important to have a white person talk about this issue -as well-. We who are white need to stop expecting people of color to tell us what to do and how to do it. I’d encourage OLA to invite someone else— I think about someone like Jessica Campbell, someone who some of you know, she’s co-Director of Oregon’s Rural Organizing Project and can speak incredibly eloquently about issues of racism and other systems of oppression. Plus, she grew up, and lives in, Cottage Grove and thus she is intimately familiar with the complex context that is Oregon.  For her- and the ROP- having healthy rural communities includes many things, including libraries.

-Brooke

“If you haven’t been exiled for seeking to liberate, then you aren’t trying hard enough. You need to do some soul work about why you haven’t been exiled from SOME community [for seeking to liberate].” -Dr. Larycia Hawkins @ the Wild Goose Festival while in conversation with Barbara Brown Taylor

--------------------------------------

M. Brooke Robertshaw, PhD
brooke.robertshaw at oregonstate.edu
Oregon State University Libraries
& Press
Office: 541.737.1780
Mobile: 541.870.6136
"Algorithms don't make things fair if
you just blithely, blindly apply algorithms. They repeat our past
practices, our patterns. They
automate the status quo."
   ~Cathy O'Neil, TED 2017