[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Debacle: Defending Macias, McNeil and Anderson

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Wed Nov 13 17:59:29 PST 2019

I think it's good to have discussions and tread carefully, but I also think questioning an article's inclusion in a specific issue of a specific journal is well within the realm of reasonable discourse, rather than requiring an immediate leap to cries of book-burning.

Putting it on simple terms: I have certainly received my share of rejection letters for poetry and articles I've submitted to a wide variety of publications. My work has been rejected for a wide variety of reasons -- poor quality, not a good fit with the editorial intent of the issue, too similar to another article already submitted, sometimes with no reason given at all beyond "thanks but no thanks." I don't think that I was the victim of censorship in any of those situations.

I would say that Max and others are well within their rights to question what the editorial intent of the EDI issue of OLAQ was, and whether the article in question served the stated purpose of showcasing initiatives in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Raising these questions is part of a robust examination of libraries' role in creating an equitable environment. It's also within the rights of others to argue for the inclusion of articles that present a contrary or lukewarm view.

I am disappointed that at least one person chose to use the mechanism of the Libs-OR rules of conduct to rebuke or silence Mr. Macias. It's unfortunately similar to the way other platforms such as Facebook have enforced policies against "hate speech" in inequitable ways to silence the voices of people of color, while protecting the voices of white supremacy.

Please note that I am speaking for myself here, not in my official capacity as IFC co-chair.

[dwsquare2]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
LIBRARY DIRECTOR
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101 Ste 201  |  Lincoln City, OR