[Libs-Or] Fwd: [announce] DACA SCOTUS Decision

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 09:39:04 PDT 2020

How are libraries supporting Dreamers?

Respectfully,

Max Macias

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Office of the President <presidents_office at pcc.edu>
Date: Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 9:21 AM
Subject: [announce] DACA SCOTUS Decision
To: <announce at pcc.edu>, <current_students at pcc.edu>

Dear PCC Colleagues and Students,

Last night, I feared I would be sending a very different message to you
today. Instead...

...earlier today, the U.S. Supreme Court issued its ruling, upholding
<https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-trump-cannot-end-daca-big-win-dreamer-n1115116>
the
DACA Program, allowing close to 800,000 DACA recipients to continue to
enjoy the benefits of their work permits and the relief from the threat of
deportation that DACA provides. The Supreme Court opinion overturned a
decision by the Trump Administration to end the DACA Program.

In particular, the Supreme Court noted
<https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/18/supreme-court-daca-decision-328255>
that
our nation’s DACistas, DACAmented people, and Dreamers, relied on the DACA
program in continuing to put down roots in the U.S.: they have, “enrolled
in degree programs, embarked on careers, started businesses, purchased
homes, and even married and had children, all in reliance” on DACA.

And our nation is so much stronger for it.

Meanwhile,

PCC is and will continue to be a Sanctuary College.

On December 20, 2016, the PCC Board of Directors resolved to apply the
term Sanctuary
College to Portland Community College. We remain committed to our Sanctuary
status. Here is what that means:

   1.

   PCC will not release student information unless legally compelled to do
   so.
   2.

   PCC public safety officers do not and will not enforce federal
   immigration laws.
   3.

   PCC has been and will continue to work with federal and state agencies
   around these key issues.
   4.

   PCC will continue to provide in-state tuition rates to all students who
   otherwise satisfy PCC’s residency guidelines.
   5.

   The PCC Foundation staff will work with donors interested in providing
   philanthropic support for the PCC DREAMers Scholarship for first
   generation, low-income students who are ineligible to apply for federal
   financial aid.

We will continue to provide additional support services to DACAmented and
DREAMer Students through all our resource centers, especially the the Dreamers
Resource Center (DRC) <https://www.pcc.edu/dream/undocumented/>, which will
continue to support DACAmented and DREAMer Students, and all immigrant
students and community members regardless of immigration status.

The DRC has been collaborating with numerous organizations that serve
immigrant communities in the areas of education, health, legal services and
advocacy, housing, community, civic and social responsibility/engagement
and immigration guidance and support. These partnerships have been
invaluable to our students and their families.

PCC remains steadfast in our commitment to advocating for, and pursuing
legislative and executive action to address immigration reform. These
actions include direct communication with Oregon’s Governor and state
legislature to find local solutions. On a federal level, we are working
with each Congressional office within the PCC District to collaborate with
our elected officials to pursue comprehensive immigration reform that would
address the complex web of immigration policies and center the needs of
real families in our national immigration policy.

In this moment of incredible stress and social unrest, this SCOTUS
ruling--in addition to the civil rights ruling earlier this week in support
of LGBTQIA+ workers--gives us some hope.

Thanks to the Preferred Future Task Force’s DACA Response Team for your
tireless efforts and commitment to our community.

Regards,

President Mitsui

As always, this and other College announcements and information can be
found on Inside PCC <https://intranet.pcc.edu/>. Please visit our COVID-19
Resources <https://www.pcc.edu/coronavirus/> and Dreamers Resource Center
(DRC) <https://www.pcc.edu/dream/undocumented/> pages for other updates as
they become available.