[Libs-Or] Is there any discussion in the library community about the EOU Pierce Library controversy?

Sarah Ralston sralston at eou.edu
Mon Jun 29 13:05:37 PDT 2020

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for bringing this up. There has been a lot of action and discussion
on this side of the state for quite some time, but none that I have seen
from our state organizations. However, the Observer headline is a little
misleading. There is a lot of movement in the university community to
"de-name" the library, and the board of trustees is supposed to hold a
special session soon (we were told June or July) to make a final decision.
There was a committee that was gathering historical evidence to justify the
change recommendation, but they were thwarted by the pandemic - they had a
trip planned to the U of O archives, which holds the Pierce papers, and
that was canceled Spring term. However, the EOU president announced to the
campus community internally in early June that he was going to recommend
the de-naming to the board regardless.

If ACRL-OR or OLA is interested in writing an advocacy letter, they should
do so soon, and address that to the EOU Board of Trustees
<https://www.eou.edu/governance/>.

Sarah

--
*Sarah Ralston *
Associate Professor/ Instruction Librarian
sralston at eou.edu
(541) 962-3474

Virus-free.
www.avg.com