[Libs-Or] international library and advocacy conference

Every Library everylibrary at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:14:22 PDT 2020

The library industry is under threat from a number of major crises
simultaneously during these uncertain times, particularly the loss of
financial and voter support. The COVID-19 crisis has decimated the
fundamental municipal tax base that funds school and public libraries. Even
libraries that were doing well before the crisis may be facing new
challenges. Without community support, libraries will continue to
drastically lose funding in the coming years.

Unfortunately, libraries have lost nearly 20% of voter and political
support for funding and revenue in the last 10 years. A reasonable response
to this loss would be to double down on outreach to library users, but
according to research from OCLC
<https://www.oclc.org/research/awareness-to-funding-2018.html>, library use
does not always translate to voter support. We also know that while people
like libraries as much as they have before, they are less likely to vote
for them. This means that we need a paradigm shift in the way that we are
doing our advocacy and marketing in our communities. We need to learn from
some of the largest and most successful cause-related and fundraising
organizations if we want libraries to continue to thrive. That's why we
built this conference around experts who can help libraries build support
for local funding.
REGISTER - https://www.lafcon.org/register

*Learn New Strategies and Tactics*

Join EveryLibrary online from September 14-16, 2020 <http://www.lafcon.org/>
to meet some of the most advanced political strategists and tacticians from
within the library industry and beyond. Explore three days worth of content
on how to navigate the world of politics and build voter support for
library funding.

The unique virtual structure of the conference will allow participants to
attend all sessions, dig deep into a particular track or mix-and-match a
program that meets their needs. Session speakers will be available live
throughout the conference via Slack for conversations and interactivity
with attendees. Conference topics <http://www.lafcon.org/tracks> will
include: outreach, donor research, grants, legislation, coalition building,
digital tactics, and marketing.

*Immediate Support for the Library Industry*
In order to build a strong advocacy network, Everylibrary believes that we
need healthy library associations and support organizations. The advocacy
strategies learned at this conference will provide tools to support the
long-term health of libraries and associations, but short-term financial
help is needed too. We will donate 25% of every registration to state
library associations (or a national library association if outside the
United States) in order to help these associations weather difficult
financial times.

*Converse, Share, and Prepare for the Future*

Conversations and idea exchanges are one of the most vital parts of any
conference, and that should not change even in a virtual setting. We will
be using dedicated Slack channels to allow our attendees and speakers to
talk and share throughout the conference. Those channels will remain active
after the conference to allow everyone to keep in touch. We want this
conference to provide a dedicated community of colleagues and advocates
with the tools to take action and make sure that all libraries come out of
the current crisis stronger and more prepared for the future.

REGISTER - https://www.lafcon.org/register