[Libs-Or] Call for participation - Library Freedom Institute Cohort 4

Meredith Farkas meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
Mon May 18 16:15:35 PDT 2020

Hi Oregon library workers,

I wanted to share this fantastic (and free!) professional learning
opportunity. I'm part of Cohort 3 of the Library Freedom Institute and it
has been such an oasis of sanity and camaraderie during this wild time.
While I was excited to learn more about privacy and surveillance, I had no
idea I'd also be joining a vibrant community that is doing some fantastic
advocacy, education, and outreach work. I'm including below the call for
participation. The program welcomes library workers regardless of whether
they have an MLIS or are in a professional position. Please let me know if
you have any questions about the student experience, though Alison Macrina (
alison at libraryfreedom.org) would be the best person to ask about logistics.

During this pandemic, it's especially important for library workers to
build community centered around our ethics and values. That's why I'm
excited to share that applications are now open for the fourth cohort of
the Library Freedom Institute. Library Freedom Institute is a free,
(mostly) online, four-month long training program to turn librarians into
Privacy Advocates. Through weekly lectures from experts in the privacy
world and collaborative work, participants learn practical skills and build
community together. There is a fully-funded in-person weekend
component  that is likely to be postponed due to coronavirus, but will
happen at some point in the future. Application materials are due June 1
and are here: https://libraryfreedom.org/index.php/lfi. Questions about the
program or application can be sent to alison at libraryfreedom.org.

Best wishes,
Meredith

Meredith Farkas, Faculty Librarian, Library SAC Chair
Pronouns: she/her
Portland Community College Library, Sylvania Campus
971-722-4966
meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
www.pcc.edu/library