[Libs-Or] Rights, Responsibilities & Reactions Intellectual Freedom News - November 2021

Brian McGUIRK brianmc at multcolib.org
Thu Dec 2 08:08:33 PST 2021

Rights, Responsibilities & Reactions Intellectual Freedom News -

November 2021

Censorship

We’re Facing A Dangerous, Violent New Age of Comic Censorship
<https://wegotthiscovered.com/comicbooks/were-facing-a-dangerous-violent-new-age-of-comic-censorship/>
- We Got This Covered

‘Facebook Censors Jerusalem’: Campaign protests Meta’s alleged censorship
of Palestinian posts
<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/meta-facebook-campagin-censorship-palestinian-posts>
- Middle East Eye

A Frenzy of Book Banning
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/opinion/book-bans.html?searchResultPosition=12>
- New York Times Opinion

My Book Was Censored in China. Now It’s Blacklisted — in Texas
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/23/books/review/far-from-the-tree-matt-krause-texas-book-blacklist-ban.html?searchResultPosition=3>
- New York Times Book Review

How 9 books started a fight over censorship and pornography in this Utah
school district
<https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/11/29/how-books-started-fight/>
- Salt Lake Tribune

Big Tech Censorship of COVID Information Leads to Vaccine Hesitancy
<https://www.newsweek.com/big-tech-censorship-covid-information-leads-vaccine-hesitancy-opinion-1644051https://www.newsweek.com/big-tech-censorship-covid-information-leads-vaccine-hesitancy-opinion-1644051>
- Newsweek Opinion

First Amendment

Project Veritas and the Line Between Journalism and Political Spying
<https://www.nytimes.com/search?dropmab=false&query=first%20amendment&sort=best>
- The New York Times

Supreme Court Hears Free Speech Case on Politician’s Censure
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/us/politics/supreme-court-free-speech-censure.html?searchResultPosition=2>
- The New York Times

A Public Flagpole, a Christian Flag and the First Amendment
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/us/boston-flag-free-speech.html> - The
New York Times

State of Michigan employees told how to react to First Amendment auditors
<https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/11/09/michigan-first-amendment-auditors-video-public-buildings/6350167001/>
- Detroit Free Press

Is it a right to record police? Feds cite First Amendment, ask 10th Circuit
Court to agree
<https://gazette.com/premium/is-it-a-right-to-record-police-feds-cite-first-amendment-ask-10th-circuit-court/article_6aceacb2-622d-56e4-845e-95aa4f0ebf93.html>
- The Gazette

Privacy

Facebook, Citing Societal Concerns, Plans to Shut Down Facial Recognition
System
<https://www.nytimes.com/search?dropmab=false&query=privacy&sort=best> -
The New York Times

You Know the Saying: You Are the Product
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/us/politics/supreme-court-free-speech-censure.html?searchResultPosition=2>
- The New York Times

U.S. lawmakers call for privacy legislation after Reuters report on Amazon
lobbying
<https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-lawmakers-call-privacy-legislation-after-reuters-report-amazon-lobbying-2021-11-22/>
- Reuters

Diversity

Implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts at conferences
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-021-00926-2> - Nature

Dear White People: Here’s How to Honor Native Americans
<https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/11/dear-white-people-heres-how-to-honor-native-americans/>
- Mother Jones

After nixing diversity symbols, Newberg School Board fires superintendent
<https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/education/2021/11/10/after-nixing-diversity-symbols-newberg-school-board-fires-superintendent/6377406001/>
- Statesman Journal

Access

Maryland police navigate new law opening access to disciplinary records
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/11/24/antons-law-makes-police-discipline-more-transparent/>
- Washington Post

Science community steps up to reform open access
<https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03485-4> - Nature

Net Neutrality

Sen. Lindsey Graham: “I will do everything in my power” to block Biden FCC
pick
<https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/11/republicans-fight-biden-fcc-pick-gigi-sohn-claim-shell-censor-conservatives/>
-ARS Technica

--

Rights, Responsibilities & Reactions is a monthly roundup of Intellectual
Freedom News compiled by the Multnomah County Library Intellectual Freedom

--
*Brian McGuirk*
*Policy Coordinator Librarian *