[Libs-Or] Black History Month programs in Forest Grove

Robert Abbey roberta at wccls.org
Wed Feb 3 10:38:51 PST 2021

Dear colleagues  -

I wanted to let you all know about two live-streamed adult programs we're offering at the Forest Grove City Library in honor of Black History Month. We're looking forward to hosting both of these events, and we hope you can help spread the word within your communities.

On Tuesday, February 9th, Nicholas Buccola, the Elizabeth and Morris Glicksman Chair in Political Science at Linfield University, will discuss his 2019 book, The Fire is Upon Us: James Baldwin, William F. Buckley Jr., and the Debate over Race in America, with Dr. Paul Snell, Assistant Professor of Politics and Government at Pacific University. Dr. Buccola's study is the first to examine the now-famous exchange that took place between Baldwin and Buckley at Cambridge University in February 1965 and to assess its impact on the contemporary conversation around civil rights and racial justice. The library received generous financial support for this program from Oregon Humanities, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and the Oregon Cultural Trust.

The second live-streamed program takes place on Tuesday, February 23rd and features educator, poet, writer, and public scholar Walidah Imarisha, who'll explore the "hidden history" behind the question "Why Aren't There More Black People in Oregon?". Professor Imarisha is the co-editor of two anthologies of fiction and the author of Angels with Dirty Faces: Three Stories of Crime, Prison, and Redemption, which won the 2017 Oregon Book Award for creative non-fiction. She has presented around the state on Black history, alternatives to incarceration, and hip hop, and she has taught at Stanford University, the Oregon State University, Pacific Northwest College of the Arts, and Portland State, where she currently directs the school's Center for Black Studies. We're very pleased to partner with the Student Multicultural Center at Pacific University to make this program possible.

There is no registration required for either of these programs which will stream live to the library's Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/ForestGroveLibrary> and YouTube channel<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4dn7U_n8wOsxDoWY4TQ8Sg> starting at 6:30 pm.

Information about the programs is included in the attached flyer or on the library events calendar<https://www.forestgrove-or.gov/calendar?field_microsite_tid=82>. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you or your patrons have any questions.

Bob Abbey
Adult Services Librarian
Forest Grove City Library
2114 Pacific Ave.