[Libs-Or] OLA 2021 Library Legislative Day: *ALL* library supporters can participate!

Sue Ludington, OLA Legislative Committee Chair ldlcchair at olaweb.org
Fri Feb 26 15:34:17 PST 2021

Good afternoon,

It’s Friday, February 26th and *OLA’s Library Legislative Week starts ON
MONDAY!*

You’ll recall that "Library Legislative Day" (LLD) has traditionally been a
day when Oregon’s library supporters meet with their legislators in Salem
one-on-one to share library success stories and talk about any relevant
legislation.

This year, like everything else, LLD has gone virtual. Originally scheduled
for March 1-5, multiple hurdles (COVID, ice storm, other legislative
delays) have motivated us to be flexible. Therefore, we’ve appealed to
folks to *make an appointment any time during the month of March*. Have
*you* reached out to your legislator yet to make an appointment? *All OLA
and non-OLA members alike are all enthusiastically encouraged to do so!*

Some public employees have questioned whether or not they’re *allowed to
speak to legislators while on work time*. While we’re not attorneys and
absolutely advise you to speak to higher-ups, we understand ORS 260.432
<https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/260.432> to mean public employees are not
permitted to advocate for *certain kinds of political matters*:
initiatives, referendums or recall petitions, candidates, political
committees, or ballot measures. However, *legislative bills are not covered
by ORS 260.432, so it is allowable for public employees to lobby governing
bodies*.

For more information, see the Secretary of State Office's “*ORS 260.432
Quick Reference*” guide (
https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/documents/260.432_quickref.pdf) or the
complete “*Restrictions on Political Campaigning by Public Employees - ORS
260.432*” publication: (
https://www.oregon.gov/oda/shared/Documents/Publications/NaturalResources/RestrictionsonCampaigningbyPublicEmployees.pdf
)

Don’t forget, too, a *brief and informal “Prepare to Talk to Your
Legislator!” training will be held on Monday, March 1 at 11:30am*. (Zoom
details to be posted on the LDLC website on Sunday, Feb. 28). The training
will be recorded and available to watch later.

We really hope to have a robust turnout of library workers and supporters
advocating to their legislators this year! To learn about the bills that
OLA is supporting, or more resources to help with LLD, please see OLA’s
Library Development & Legislation Committee (LDLC) website
<https://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199>.

Again, I am available through all the standard methods if I can help or
encourage in any way. Thank you for your support of Oregon’s libraries!

Best,

Sue

*****
*Sue Ludington*
Library Development & Legislative Committee, Chair 2020-2021
Oregon Library Association
ldlcchair at olaweb.org
541-682-4337 (w)
503-754-4653 (h)