[Libs-Or] San Jose State University Announces New Director for iSchool

Nicole Purviance Nicole.Purviance at sjsu.edu
Wed Jul 14 12:23:19 PDT 2021

Greetings,

The San José State University School of Information is delighted to
announce the appointment of Dr. Anthony Chow as its new director. Please
see the full story below and feel free to share this wonderful news. The
story can also be accessed on our website at
https://ischool.sjsu.edu/news/new-director-appointed-sjsu-school-information
.

*New Director Appointed for SJSU School of Information*

Dr. Anthony Chow to Lead the iSchool

With deep roots in the Bay Area, Dr. Anthony Chow is eager to bring his
leadership, academic, professional, and personal experience and background
to the San José State University School of Information as its new director.
Chow makes his way to the #1 Most Transformative University
<https://sjsu.edu/transform/> from the University of North Carolina at
Greensboro, where he was an associate professor in the Department of
Library and Information Science. His appointment as the iSchool’s director
officially begins July 20, 2021, filling the open position previously held
by Dr. Sandra Hirsh, who was promoted to associate dean
<https://ischool.sjsu.edu/news/ischool-director-transitions-new-leadership-role-sjsu>
for the SJSU College of Professional and Global Education in March 2020.

“We are delighted to welcome Dr. Anthony Chow as iSchool director. The
search committee was overwhelmingly impressed with his qualifications that
will surely benefit our school, college, university, and the information
professions. This is an exciting time for our school!” says Dr. Linda Main,
chair of the search committee.

Chow’s academic career spans 21 years during which time he has worked as a
faculty member; served as coordinator/director of online learning;
published two books and two book chapters and 141 peer-reviewed
publications, proceedings, presentations and posters; and received over $3
million in grants and contracts to fund research projects. He has a steep
record of service and leadership at all levels of academia and the library
and information science field and takes “deep pride in contributing to any
team or group I am part of,” he affirms. Chow holds a PhD in Instructional
Systems Design and an MS in Educational Psychology from Florida State
University.

“There is no greater privilege than to impart knowledge and skills to
students and help mentor them towards successful lives and careers.” – Dr.
Anthony Chow

On the faculty at both the University of North Carolina and Florida State
University, Chow’s teaching areas included web design and usability,
leadership and management, instructional design and technology, social
media, and technology integration. He has experience teaching in various
formats and considers online learning an area of expertise. “I am 100%
committed to the immense value of online education as a complex interchange
between student needs and organizational capabilities to deliver a seamless
and high-quality learning experience and system,” Chow says.

He has been published in journals, such as *Library Quarterly*, *Journal of
Education for Library and Information Science*, *Library Leadership &
Management*, *American Journal of Distance Education*, *Tech Trends,* and
many others. Most recently, he participated in two presentations at the
2021 ALA Annual Virtual Conference, with one advocating internships for
graduate students, and the other addressing literacy and access for Native
American children and families. Funded by a $707,537 grant from the
Institute of Museum and Library Services through 2023, Chow’s *Reading
Nation Waterfall* research project presented at ALA Annual is a prime
example of his commitment to “break down barriers to information access at
a societal and organizational level.”

“I am committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that I do.” – Dr.
Anthony Chow

In addition to publishing, Chow is shaping the LIS field as an active
member and leader in the American Library Association, Association for
Library and Information Science Education, Association for Educational
Communications and Technology, American Educational Research Association,
and International Federation of Library Associations. He has also taken on
leadership roles at the university level and founded the newly formed Asian
and Pacific Islander Caucus, which he says “brought together API faculty
and staff across the UNC system in response to the increasing anti-Asian
sentiment and xenophobia being experienced nationally and in North
Carolina.”

As the iSchool’s director, Chow says he will “lead with optimism, energy,
and passion in the conviction that our teaching, degrees, and higher
education in general leads to a higher quality of life for our students,
increased value for the organizations that hire them, and that our faculty
research and service helps study and solve problems and transforms the
communities that we are part of.”

With Chow in the director role, Main will return to her position as
associate director. She has served as interim director for the past 16
months.

 # # #

Contact:

Nicole Purviance
Director of Marketing and Communications
School of Information
San Jose State University
nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu
https://ischool.sjsu.edu