[Libs-Or] FW: Read. Resist. Act! It's One Month Until Banned Books Week

Perry Stokes director at bakerlib.org
Mon Aug 15 16:02:34 PDT 2022

Happy Monday intrepid Intellectual Freedom Fighters,

DID YOU KNOW?

71% of voters oppose efforts to have books removed from their local public libraries, including a majority of Democrats (75%), independents (58%), and Republicans (70%).

SOURCE:  <https://www.ala.org/advocacy/voters-oppose-book-bans-libraries> https://www.ala.org/advocacy/voters-oppose-book-bans-libraries

I don’t know about court decision ratios, but I bet those odds are even better.

Banned Books Week will begin September 18. Let’s give our communities a chance to raise their liberty-loving voices.

The Penguin Random House publishing company has some Banned Books Week kits to share while supplies last, and downloadable resources. See below.

HOW TO TALK ABOUT BOOK BANS

·         READING is a foundational skill, critical to future learning, and to exercising our democratic freedoms.

·         WE CAN TRUST individuals to make their own decisions about what they read and believe.

·         PARENTS HAVE THE RIGHT to guide their children’s reading and education, but parents should not be making decisions for other parents’ children. A small group of parents should not dictate what books other people’s children are allowed to read.

·         BOOKS ARE TOOLS for understanding complex issues. Limiting young people’s access to books does not protect them from life’s complex and challenging issues.

·         YOUNG PEOPLE deserve to see themselves reflected in a library’s books.

·         REMOVING AND BANNING BOOKS from public libraries is a slippery slope to government censorship and the erosion of our country’s commitment to freedom of expression.

·         PLEASE REJECT any efforts to ban books and allow individuals and parents to make the decision about what they can read and believe.

·         VISIT UniteAgainstBookBans.org to learn more and to join our efforts.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: How do I handle difficult conversations with individuals seeking to ban books, especially parents concerned about what their kids are reading?