[Libs-Or] DEI workshop/training

Adrienne Doman Calkins DomanCalkinsA at SherwoodOregon.gov
Thu Aug 18 16:23:07 PDT 2022

Hello Sami,

We've had luck with using Oregon Humanities for staff trainings. They have a number of DEI topics every season. Some years ago Ann Su, a Portland-based attorney, presented "What's in a label?" that was a great introduction. Here's the program description http://oregonhumanities.org/programs/community-conversations/the-conversation-project/ and catalog<https://airtable.com/shrLoujflgyLgIP1i/tblJcXPpFkMdFM35R>. The fee is more for staff-only compared to public presentations, but it was still reasonable for our budget because Oregon Humanities offsets some of the cost for the host.

We also recently contracted with Tai Harden-Moore, out of Newberg, for "From Ally to Accomplice" that had some refresher concepts but also covered more ground about how to be more proactive and interrupt racism. Tai's consultant firm is http://www.moore-consultants.com/.

If you have an EAP through your HR department, there may also be some great offerings that are already available and likely can be customized for your group, either in person or online.

If you are open to online trainings, I also highly recommend DeEtta Jones. I attended one of her preconference workshops at a library conference and she has launched a robust online program that looks really amazing. https://www.deettajones.com/

Good luck!

Adrienne Doman Calkins (she/her/hers)
Library Manager, Sherwood Public Library
22560 SW Pine Street, Sherwood, OR 97140
503-625-4272  |  domancalkinsa at sherwoodoregon.gov<mailto:domancalkinsa at sherwoodoregon.gov>
www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library<http://www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library>  |  Monthly e-newsletter<https://www.libraryaware.com/1690/Subscribers/Subscribe?showonlynewsletterlists=true>
A member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services

From: Libs-Or <libs-or-bounces at omls.oregon.gov> On Behalf Of Sami Pierson via Libs-Or
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 3:59 PM
To: libs-or at omls.oregon.gov
Subject: [Libs-Or] DEI workshop/training

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you are expecting this email and/or know the content is safe.

Hello all -
I'm looking for a DEI trainer (preferably in the state or nearby one) that I can bring down to our library for some staff training.  Who have people used and would recommend?  Thanks in advance.

Sami

Sami Pierson
Director
Coos Bay Public Library