[Libs-Or] Help build an accurate Broadband Map for Oregon

WEIBLE Arlene * SLO Arlene.WEIBLE at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Dec 19 13:43:27 PST 2022

The FCC launched a National Broadband Map<https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home> that shows addresses across the U.S. and the quality of internet access for each, with information provided by service providers. Knowing where broadband is available (and more importantly, where it is not) is critical to secure funding and improve broadband access for our underserved communities.

An accurate broadband map will help identify the communities most in need of funding for high-speed internet projects and will be used by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to determine how much federal BEAD funding each state receives. It is especially important to check the accuracy of the maps in Oregon's rural areas to help assure the state receives sufficient funding.

Oregon's Broadband Office needs everyone's help to make sure the FCC has the most accurate picture of what we need in Oregon. We have until only January 13 to update the map.

Here are the steps to take:

1. Visit BroadbandMap.FCC.gov<https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home> and type your address into the 'Search by Address' box in the middle of the map.

2. If the broadband service available at your home or library is incorrect and needs to be corrected, click 'Availability Challenge', fill out the form, and click submit.

3. If there is not a dot on your home or library, drop a pin on the map, click 'Location Challenge', fill out the form with the correct information, and click submit.

4. Encourage everyone you know to follow steps 1 through 3 and ensure the map is correct, so we can advocate for funding and deliver broadband where it needs to go.

Please help get the word out to your community. A toolkit with flyers, social media, and other promotional materials is available:
https://www.fcc.gov/national-broadband-map-outreach-toolkit

More information can be found on the Oregon Broadband Office site:
https://www.oregon.gov/biz/programs/Oregon_Broadband_Office/Pages/Broadband_Map.aspx

Arlene Weible, MLS (she/her/hers)
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
State Library of Oregon
arlene.weible at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOR/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/statelibraryor> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[State Library of Oregon Logo]