[Libs-Or] Controlled Digital Lending (CDL)

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Wed Mar 16 16:11:52 PDT 2022

I've become fascinated with Controlled Digital Lending (CDL). I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on CDL, both good and bad.

Does anyone know of any public libraries that are using CDL? Thinking of implementing CDL?

Putting aside the lawsuits for a moment (see below), it seems to me that CDL could work for public libraries. After the initial investment in software to facilitate CDL (see Alma below) and acknowledging the need for the continuous digitization of books purchased (though once an electronic copy is made, it could be provided to many libraries for use) CDL seems like it would free us from the absurd terms of use and cost of third-party ebook vendors and publishers; save patrons' info from third-party ebook vendors; and would be a step in the right direction toward patron equity, allowing electronic access to an entire library's print materials collection.

I would also *really* be interested in learning why I'm wrong about the benefits of CDL I listed above.

It seems academic libraries in Oregon have begun jumping on board the CDL train - both OSU (https://library.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/course_reserves_assessment_report_fy21.pdf) and Western Oregon University (https://research.wou.edu/c.php?g=1126122&p=8214813) have implementations.

Academic libraries seem more inclined toward CDL:

- Association of Research Libraries Signs Statement in Support of Controlled Digital Lending: https://www.arl.org/news/association-of-research-libraries-signs-statement-in-support-of-controlled-digital-lending/

- Boston Library Consortium:  https://d21hwc2yj2s6ok.cloudfront.net/assets/uploads/154165/asset/BLC-ConsortialCDL_Sept2021.pdf

- Hathi Trust from UC Libraries: https://www.hathitrust.org/

Not everyone is a fan of CDL:

- Author's Guild: Controlled Digital Lending Is Neither Controlled nor Legal: https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/controlled-digital-lending-is-neither-controlled-nor-legal/

- Publisher, Author Groups Protest Library Book Scanning Program: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/79262-could-library-book-scanning-be-headed-back-to-court.html
- Lawsuit - Hachette v. Internet Archive: EFF: https://www.eff.org/cases/hachette-v-internet-archive

- Internet Archive's writings on CDL: http://blog.archive.org/tag/controlled-digital-lending/

Alma, an ExLibris product facilitating CDL - https://exlibrisgroup.com/products/alma-library-services-platform/digital-resources/

If you're interested in learning more about CDL, here's some resources I've found. I'd love to know of resources you've found helpful.

- Controlled Digital Lending by Libraries: https://controlleddigitallending.org/

- Internet Archive's Empowering Libraries: https://empoweringlibraries.org/

- Controlled Digital Lending Implementers Group: https://sites.google.com/view/cdl-implementers

- CDL Implementation List: https://groups.google.com/g/cdl-implementers

- Library Future Policy Document: Controlled Digital Lending Unlocking the Library's Full Potential: https://www.libraryfutures.net/policy-document-2021

- Internet Archive's Community Update Controlled Digital Lending: https://archive.org/details/cdl-community-update

- White Paper on Controlled Digital Lending of Library Books: https://controlleddigitallending.org/whitepaper

Thanks all!

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook