[Libs-Or] Congratulations to Cathy Camper: Lampman Award Winner

Marci Jenkins Marci.Jenkins at mcminnvilleoregon.gov
Thu Mar 17 13:00:24 PDT 2022

Congratulation Cathy!!!!
Cathy's contributions to children literature go beyond the fact she wrote amazingly entertaining books; Cathy represents all Arab-American children who cannot find representation in our books and consequently feel excluded and ostracized by the dominant culture.
I met Cathy when she delivered a presentation at REFORMA's Mock Pura Belpre Award in 2019. I was impressed with her eagerness to transport children to a new dimension where cultural roots are meant to be celebrated. Cathy and illustrator Raul the Third were able to immerse kids from all cultures and backgrounds into the Latino culture in a beautiful and ludic way.
I was a little Latina who loved books and was always seeking to connect with the stories I read. When I read Cathy's Lowriders Series I felt like a child again, but at this time, overwhelmed with joy for being transported to a place in literature that finally made sense to me.
I would like to congratulate Cathy for her commitment with diversity and inclusion as she continues to uplift, encourage, and promote positive representation to underserved and underrepresented young readers.
Marci

Marci Ramiro-Jenkins
Public Librarian/ Latino Community Liaison
Oregon Library Association Vice President/President Elect
503-435-5568

"Sometimes people try to destroy you, precisely because they recognize your power - not because they don't see it, but because they see it and they don't want it to exist." -Bell Hooks