[Libs-Or] November 2022 Tuesday Topic - Bias and Librarian Censorship

Lori Moore lorim at multcolib.org
Tue Nov 8 08:00:00 PST 2022

November 2022
*Welcome to Tuesday Topics, a monthly series covering topics with
intellectual freedom implications for libraries of all types. Each message
is prepared by a member of OLA's Intellectual Freedom Committee or a guest
writer. Questions can be directed to the author of the topic or to the IFC
Committee.  *

Bias and Librarian Censorship

It is probably not news to those of us in the library world that we are
experiencing unprecedented challenges to the freedom to read. School
libraries are being especially hard hit with external and, unfortunately,
internal threats and actions against library materials, displays and
programs. While we often stand together against those external forces it is
important that we pay attention to how this is affecting our own choices
and actions as librarians and library workers.

Librarians have the skills, education and experience to determine what is
right for our collections and should endeavor to base our selections on
strong collection policies, professional research and knowing our
communities and their wants and needs.  But bias can inevitably interfere
with this process.

There are a lot of good resources out there to help us learn about, examine
and overcome bias. Here are a few to start with:

OPB: Who me biased?
<https://opb.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/pov-biased-lpclips/who-me-biased/>
| ALA: Keeping up with...Implicit Bias
<http://www.ala.org/acrl/publications/keeping_up_with/bias> | Yourbias.is
<https://yourbias.is/> | Harvard Project Implicit
<https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html>

Those resources can help us with our implicit or unconscious biases. But
what about explicit bias? Some library or administration professionals may
feel empowered in the current landscape to practice these biases.
Additionally, (valid) fears about the consequences of our selections can be
an unfortunate driving factor. Library workers across the country have lost
their jobs or been subjected to threats of violence because of their
adherence to providing a good well-rounded collection. This may even lead
some library professionals to purposely avoid adding titles, subjects and
themes to their collections to avoid negative reactions and outcomes. This
recent School Library Journal article
<https://www.slj.com/story/censorship-attempts-will-have-a-long-lasting-impact-on-school-library-collections-slj-survey-shows>
dives
into the impacts all of this may have on future collections and students.

Solving these issues is not easy. A strong selection policy as well as
policies for review are a great start. Remember to include processes for
external and internal challenges. Clear internal documentation and
communication about these policies (including training for stakeholders) is
helpful for everyone involved. Using support tools available from the ALA
Office of Intellectual Freedom <https://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/oif>
can be helpful. And remember that the OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee is
here to help and support you! We can help with tools and resources, advice,
connections to helpful allies and organizations and to generally support
and back you up (this can be done anonymously). Learn more about us here
<https://www.olaweb.org/intellectual-freedom-committee-home> and find
additional resources to deal with challenges and develop robust policies at
the Intellectual Freedom Committee's toolkit page
<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/iftoolkit/home>.

Lori - on behalf of the OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee
Lori Moore
*Workforce Development Librarian*
Multnomah County Library
My schedule: Sunday - Thursday