[Libs-Or] What's your library's unattended child policy?

Katie Anderson katiea at wccls.org
Mon Nov 14 11:56:48 PST 2022

Hi all,

I’m working on updating an unattended child policy and procedure, and wondering what other Oregon libraries are doing.

If you’d like to share, please send me (kateia at wccls.org<mailto:kateia at wccls.org>) your unattended child policy/procedure and any helpful advice or resources.

We are trying to take an anti-racist and trauma-informed approach while still complying with Oregon laws so are particularly interested in:

  *   What do you do when the parent/guardian/caregiver is not at the library?
  *   If you don’t contact law enforcement, what do you do instead?
  *   If you do contact law enforcement, at what point in the procedure do you do so and how do you handle it with an effort to reduce traumatization of the child and/or their family?
  *   Do you include something about mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect to reduce the chance of implicit bias influencing staff reporting, while still ensuring the physical and mental safety of the child is the top priority?

If you have any tips or resources, please share!

Thanks,
Katie Anderson (she/her)
Youth Services Librarian | WCCLS<https://www.wccls.org/>
katiea at wccls.org<mailto:katiea at wccls.org> | 971-358-9359