[Libs-Or] Call for Proposals- 2023 North American Virtual Reference Conference

COX Jennifer * SLO Jennifer.COX at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Nov 14 17:22:48 PST 2022

On behalf of the 2023 NAVROC Conference Planning Committee...

Call for Proposals for Presentations, Round Tables and Lightning Talks

[cid:image002.png at 01D8F84D.B698B120]

The North American Virtual Reference Online Conference (NAVROC)<https://www.navronline.org/home> is accepting proposals for our free conference Tuesday-Thursday, Feb 21-23, 2023. We are seeking proposals for 45-minute sessions and 20-minute lightning talks from virtual reference providers relating to our theme, Emergence: Intersecting Resilience and Sustainability. These sessions will comprise the 2-3 hour period of each conference day. Because this is a virtual conference, presenters can present from anywhere as long as they have a stable internet connection.

Conference theme: Emergence: Intersecting Resilience and Sustainability. Participants will experience sessions from presenters across the continent discussing how they are using virtual reference services in a (post) pandemic world to increase sustainability, grow resilience, and to ultimately emerge, transform and renew.

To submit a proposal, please fill out the proposal submission<https://forms.gle/cGBAdEKw1p9DDB4RA> form by November 30, 2022.  Potential topics include but are not limited to:

Adaptability

  *   Innovations, new technologies, emerging platforms
  *   New partnerships - how were they formed, and how do they expand your service to your community
  *   Creative uses of video conferencing/screen sharing via chat
Challenges

  *   Privacy issues
  *   Creative solutions to staffing challenges
  *   Training
  *   Ergonomics at home
  *   Sustainability and digitization process
Equity and Engagement

  *   Centering race in VR
  *   Mitigating microaggressions in chat
  *   Utilizing culturally-appropriate resources
  *   Engaging BIPOC staff and patrons
  *   Multi-lingual VR services
  *   How are you bridging the digital divide in your community?
  *   Marketing strategies for underserved patrons
  *   Improving accessibility
  *   Mitigating the digital divide:  Universal Broadband? Loaning Hotspots?

Evaluation & Appraisal

  *   Service Evaluation
  *   Using ratings from users
Marketing and Promotion

  *   Integrating social media
  *   Best practices for online finding aids
  *   Marketing your service
  *   Telling your story with data
  *   Partnerships with schools, social agencies, tutoring, etc.
Reference

  *   Changing definition of reference
  *   Adapting virtual services to be accessible and equitable
  *   Working with vendors to conform to new needs
  *   Incorporating Open Access resources into virtual reference services

Propose a Roundtable (Discussion forum) or Lightning Talk (20-minute presentation) on VR services in different kinds of libraries.

Jennifer Cox, MLIS (she/her)
Virtual Reference Coordinator, Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon
jennifer.cox at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:jennifer.cox at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-600-4992
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01D8F84D.277CCC10]