[Libs-Or] We Must Do Better

Adrienne Doman Calkins DomanCalkinsA at SherwoodOregon.gov
Thu Nov 17 16:55:00 PST 2022

Dear Library Community of Oregon-and especially to those in leadership positions-

I'm also writing to add to the support for the recent OLA Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Antiracism Committee's Statement Calling for Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers.<https://ola.memberclicks.net/assets/Communications/2022-23_communications/OLA%20EDIA%20Committee%20Statement%20Calling%20for%20Meaningful%20Support%20for%20BIPOC%20Library%20Workers.pdf>

Here's why I find the statement particularly profound and useful as a tool for the work of being a leader with an EDIA mindset:

  *   So many of us ask for lists to accomplish difficult tasks. This statement includes just such a list. (Look at page 2. And then read it again and again.)
  *   We ask for how to create an equity lens for our work and our organizations. This statement walks us through questions and prompts to apply such a lens to how we support staff.
  *   Our profession is looking deep into trauma-informed service for our patrons and this statement shows us we must look deep into trauma-informed care and support for our staff.
I invite you to share this with leaders in your libraries and beyond libraries, with HR staff, with EDIA advocates, and those who are new to the work. I also invite dialogue and continued check-ins on this call for support and action because it's not always easy to systemic oppression that is part of the very fabric of our workplace cultures and structures.

A heartfelt thank you to everyone on the OLA Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Antiracism Committee for showing us a path to seeing more clearly and doing better, to Ericka Brunson-Rochette and Meredith Farkas for your work on the committee as co-Chairs, to the entire EDIA Committee, to OLA President Star Khan for sharing the statement broadly, and to Matthew Baiocchi for this message yesterday.

With appreciation,

Adrienne Doman Calkins (she/her/hers)
Library Manager, Sherwood Public Library
22560 SW Pine Street, Sherwood, OR 97140
503-625-4272  |  domancalkinsa at sherwoodoregon.gov<mailto:domancalkinsa at sherwoodoregon.gov>
www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library<http://www.sherwoodoregon.gov/library>  |  Monthly e-newsletter<https://www.libraryaware.com/1690/Subscribers/Subscribe?showonlynewsletterlists=true>
A member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services